Photo

EQ6 Pro/Atlas in -30C weather........works fine!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:02 AM

Yesterday I had my EQ6 Pro outside in -30C weather for about 5 hours. I was photographing Lulin as well as some random galaxies, some shots unguided and some guided with PHD. My exposures were 3-4 minutes and I'm happy to say that the mount, even with it's factory lube job, tracked fine and yielded nice round stars at ~400mm focal length. I did have a Kendrick hand pad heater on and it helped, but the numbers on the display are verrrrrry lazy and you have to warm up the LCD with your hand if you want to see it change digits.
I've used my 1200GTO in very cold and had been reluctant to try the EQ6 because it's made 'over yonder', I'm glad I gave it a chance because not it can impress me in the cold as much as it does in the warm. I will say that the alt ajustments suck big time and I'm working on a serious upgrade, stay tuned...... :grin:

#2 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:27 AM

I had the same problem with the display on mine being sluggish in low temperatures - rest of the mount was greta tho! :)

#3 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

Mine lost it's alignment after a couple hours at below zero temperatures.
My power supply is a little under rated though.

#4 Ed B

Ed B

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Illinois, USA

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

I have my mount on a pier outside and this winter I fired it up at -29F. It worked but was really slow and labored. At a balmy -15 it work perfectly.

Ed

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics