Photo

CG-5GT or Sirius EQ-G?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

Which mount is easier to use in terms of guiding using a DSI camera? Which mount has a better hand controller? Which mount is the better choice overall? Also, is there any other obvious advantages that the Sirius mount has over the CG5 aside for the much quieter motors?

#2 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

If you updated the CG5-GT to version 4.15 hand controller you get Celestrons new all star polar alignment, which makes polar aligning your telescope alot easier.

#3 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Which mount is easier to use in terms of guiding using a DSI camera?

Neither mount will be easier or harder to quide with the DSI.

Which mount has a better hand controller?

I prefer the more mature Celestron hand controller, and as InterStellarGuy mentioned, the new All-Star Polar Alignment feature of the Celestron mount is a definite plus.

Which mount is the better choice overall? Also, is there any other obvious advantages that the Sirius mount has over the CG5 aside for the much quieter motors?

I think the fit and finish on the Sirius mount is better and the Sirius mount has a retractable counterweight shaft. The Sirius mount also has Periodic Error Correction which the CG5 does not have. However, if you're autoguiding, PEC is not relevant. Also, PEC can be a hassle since the Sirius does not have Permanent PEC (PPEC), which means each time the mount is used the PEC will have to be trained.

Aside from that, the actual periodic error is roughly the same between the two mounts and load capacity is about the same with a slight nod towards the CG5, perhaps. I had both mounts at the same time and could not justify the additional expense of the Sirius mount (plus I like the Celestron hand controller a lot more).

Regards,

Patrick

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

As above. Add the CG5 has a 2" dia tripod which improves stability over the Sirius tripod. With the CG5 going for $599, the Sirius is getting close to 2x the price. If the CG5 has insufficient capacity for your application, the Atlas or CGEM would be the next logical stop.

#5 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

I've made the choice to get a CG5 :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics