• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RobP

RobP

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

Hi All,
I'm looking at purchasing a WO Ez touch to go with a WO FLT98. My one big worry about the arrangement is the lack of any slow motions.

Most of my observing will be low power wide field, but every now and then I might increase the power to view the planets. I'm a little concerned that without slow motion controls this will be impossible.

Would I be better off going for a less portable EQ mount instead?

Thanks
RobP
http://www.ccdastro....ueyonder.co.uk/

#2 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hi All,
I'm looking at purchasing a WO Ez touch to go with a WO FLT98. My one big worry about the arrangement is the lack of any slow motions.

Most of my observing will be low power wide field, but every now and then I might increase the power to view the planets. I'm a little concerned that without slow motion controls this will be impossible.

Would I be better off going for a less portable EQ mount instead?

I have the EZ Touch that I use with a 100mm ED refractor. It replaced a mount that had slow motion controls (a Vixen PortaMount). At first, I kept reaching for the slow motion knobs to keep my object centered in the eyepiece. But after using the EZ Touch about 6 times, I no longer miss the lack of slow motion controls.

The key is to have the tube well-balanced on the mount. That way, you can keep the friction control set rather loose and simply move the scope with a light touch of the fingers on the focuser knob, diagonal, or eyepiece. You can position the scope this way just as accurately as using slow motion controls, and it is actually more convenient when you get used to it. It works fine for planets at 140X.

The main drawback is the effort to keep the tube balanced when changing eyepieces. My eyepieces range in weight from an older Celestron Ultima that weights about 4 oz. to a new Pentax XW that weights about 14 oz. I have to rebalance the tube with this change in weight. All it takes is loosening the dovetail clamp and sliding the tube about 5mm forward or back in the mount. But it is a nuisance, especially if it has taken some effort to point at a difficult to find object. Alternatively, you can tighten the friction control to compensate for the imbalance. This is ok, but a little more effort is required to track the object.

I'm sure a good quality GEM would have better tracking and would be less sensitive to minor imbalance. But it would be bigger, heavier, and probably more expensive. For me the WO EZ Touch is as big and heavy as I want go go, and I am satisfied with the performance with my scope.

#3 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

The EZTouch is the refractor equivalent of the Dobsonian mount; there are a lot of Dob users that observe planets visually & I simply can't believe they all avoid high power. Sure, narrow field eyepieces like monocentrics (20 degree) would be difficult to impossible at high power without even hand slow motions, but with "ordinary" wide angle modern eyepieces high power viewing is not too irritating. The EZTouch (when mounted on the WO wooden tripod) is incredibly steady, the settling time is almost immeasurably small; that makes medium to high power a better proposition than a driven equatorial that quivers in the wind and/or takes 5 seconds to stop vibrating after you let go of the focus knob.

The great thing about this sort of mount is the absolutely zero setup time. Just plonk it down, attach the OTA and start observing. If most of your observing will be at low power / rich field, you'll be happy.

#4 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hi Rob,

Welcome to CN.

I use WO EzTouch/Tripod combo mostly side by side with TSA-102S and Vixen ED80SF.

The setup below is 57lb in total.
Posted Image

About tracking, I can track object over 200x with TMB Super Monocentric eyepiece for double star/planetary work.

Tammy

#5 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:07 AM

If you want slow motion controls, take a look at the Takahashi Teegul Lapides head. Very smooth and on a decent tripod, very stable. Once you have the scope reasonably balanced, you won't have to fight the re-balance war when changing eyepieces. The Tak head is about $125 more than the WO head.

#6 pennyandchris

pennyandchris

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Horsham, England

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

Rob,

I have an Ambermile alt-az, very similar to the ez touch. As Gary has said, it's all about balance - provided the OTA is balanced carefully, you can slacken off the friction locks for nice smooth movement.

One way around the eyepiece weight problem may be to use a zoom, which won't need any rebalancing. I sometimes use one with my Mak on the Ambermile, and it does help.

#7 RobP

RobP

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like it is possible, which is enough for me. I think I will be getting my wallet out now!

Thanks
RobP
http://www.ccdastro....ueyonder.co.uk/

#8 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

I have the similar Orion AZ mount. With friction set low it moves quite smoothly, though for high mag planetary, slow mo would be appreciated. The issue with the AZ is that low friction is all you can get no matter how much you tighten the knobs, unless you do a minor mod to it.

#9 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

My EzTouch works great! I use it all the time. I've never had a mount with slo-mo controls, but viewing is a piece of cake with the EzTouch. The only part of the sky that gives me trouble is STRAIGHT UP. Buy the EzTouch!!! You'll be glad you did!

#10 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

I use my EZTouch now with a WO 80FD on one side and a C8 on the other and even with the C8 and the WO Zoom II eyepiece, I can track reasonably well 270X.

As others have stated, the key is to achieve good balance and then playing with the tension to get it where you like it.

Timm

P.S. Read my review posted on CN if you want to learn more

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics