CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOTO using CCD reference?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 DFEmery

DFEmery

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hard to know exactly where to post this question... but is anyone aware of a GOTO mount, with appropriate software, that uses CCD images to improve pointing and tracking accuracy? What I mean is... if a CCD image is captured through a telescope and that image is compared to an existing image database, it would seem logical that it would be a fairly straightforward matter to correct pointing and tracking errors and fix the exact scope coordinates with great accuracy. Is there some system available to amateurs that will do this?

--Dave

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

TheSky6 plus either CCDSoft or Maxim/DL and a CCD camera provides that functionality with nearly all goto mounts.

#3 Miguel Lopes

Miguel Lopes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

Yes there is, but it takes some €€€ and a lot of patience.
You need something like:
#1 - Pinpoint for astrometric measures. That will read your CCD images and calculate the location, sampling and rotation
#2 - A CCD controlling application like Maxim or CCDSoft that supports automation
#3 - An application to orchestrate all that, like CCDAutopilot or ACP
#4 - A mount that accepts sync commands(?). Or a TPoint model for TheSky6 (?)

I'm still trying to do that myself, so a lot of question marks...

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

Yes there is, but it takes some €€€ and a lot of patience.
You need something like:
#1 - Pinpoint for astrometric measures. That will read your CCD images and calculate the location, sampling and rotation
#2 - A CCD controlling application like Maxim or CCDSoft that supports automation
#3 - An application to orchestrate all that, like CCDAutopilot or ACP
#4 - A mount that accepts sync commands(?). Or a TPoint model for TheSky6 (?)

I'm still trying to do that myself, so a lot of question marks...

I've done it without Pinpoint (though, when using Maxim, I do use the included PinPoint Lite) or a separate control application (though I intend to incorporate one later for greater automation). No TPoint model is required and Synch can be used or not used. TheSky6 Pro plus either CCDSoft or Maxim/DL suffices.

Setup is, as you mention, fairly involved.

#5 hersey0308

hersey0308

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

hi dave - maxpoint is a fairly low cost addition to maxim dl that will use a ccd camera to automatically improve pointing. a few caveats: i still like to do this manually or at least nearby because on automode the scope is slewing all over the place (as it should), but i get nervous about a cable getting caught up.
screenshot attached.
nice interface and pretty easy to use as well. the modeling file .clb will interface with Astronomer Control Panel and probably a few other programs.
best,
david

Attached Files

#6 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

Once you begin use plate solving to accurately point your mount you'll find it very hard to go back to not using it. I currently use Pinpoint with CCDSoft under control of CCD Autopilot.

As John mentioned TPoint is not required, but I since I use TheSky to control my mount I also use TPoint in order to get the initial pointing as close as possible. That results in no plate solve corrections in some areas of the sky for my setup.

I used a program called AAG Automapper to build my TPoint models. The AAG software uses plate solving to build very accurate TPoint models.

#7 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

the Meade ETX-LS coming out soon is said to use its CCD Eclipse imager for that very function, for alignment.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics