Too cold for the CGE?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Yerby

Steve Yerby

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

I finally had a good night of seeing and my CGE was totally erratic!

Problems:
It would NOT stop in "Switch Position." It would just keep going in circles.
During alignment, it would be WAY OFF for the first star. For the second star it might just lean over and point to the ground.
Some attempts it WOULDN'T even stop on the second star... it would just keep rotating.

All my time settings were correct. It was well balanced. My Lat/Long was correct.
It's always been pretty far off on the first star but usually tight for the second star.

It was under 10 degrees tonight so that was probably the problem.
Even my DSUSB was not registering!

Can anyone help me?
Steve

#2 Arbacia

Arbacia

Apollo

• Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

Have you check the cables? When cables have not a good contact the CGE began to keep rotating as the stop signal from switches doesn't arrive to the hand control.

Under cold conditions most of the cables become rigid. Moreover, there is a very known issue about the cables as Celestron used the shield to send signal through the ground contact ot shielded RJ45.

I have preparate several cables. For the early versions I used an extra wire that I twisted around the original cable and solder the tips to the ground terminal of RJ45.

Later I use directly a 9 wire Serial cable, very flexible, taken from a DB9-DB9 serial cable. 8 of the wire were attached as usual in RJ45, and I solder the extra one to the ground terminal. The thing is working better, but i will use some adhesive clamps to retain the cable preventing the eventual mevement of the terminal.

Most probably I will change the RJ45 terminal for a multipin DIN.

I have not here the reference but other people change the round cable for a flat one with very good results. Search in the forum.

Good luck

Patricio

#3 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

Welcome to CN Steve and welcome the the sometimes wild, way -out and wacky world of the CGE posts :)

Heres a thread to get you started...

http://www.cloudynig...ll/fpart/1/vc/1

#4 Steve Yerby

Steve Yerby

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for your input Patricio,

I'm the second owner of this CGE and with the combination of the 7degreesF and the well-used cables... No wonder I was having problems. I was in a panic that I had a bum mount.

I picked up a couple of flexible/shielded cables here.
http://www.vpi.us/cg...-sf-2-shld.html

I also liked the advice from one of the threads about moving the Dec cable to the other side of the column.

Thanks again and Carpe Noctem(unless it's too damn cold!)

Steve

#5 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

• Loc: Minisink, NY, USA

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

Steve -

I used my CGE down to -20F on several occasions without issue. I did get the flexible cables which I am certain made a difference. One cold night I pulled out the stock set and they were as rigid as metal bars.

Dan in NY

#6 Arbacia

Arbacia

Apollo

• Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

I want to install some adjustable cable clamps near of the conector. I have one as sample, it has a 3M autoadhesive double side tape. They are inexpensive (10 units by less than $3,and only need 4 of them)

Here are some links:
Adjustable Cable Clamp, Link 1
Adjustable Cable Clamp, Link 2
Adjustable Cable Clamp, Link 3
Adjustable Cable Clamp, Link 4

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics