Berlebach tripods

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmosphil

Cosmosphil

Apollo

• Loc: So. California

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

I just got a great deal on a used Sphinx SXD ( thanks Fred!!)for the TEC140 and as it comes standard with a HAL130 tripod I am wondering about upgrading the tripod if the aluminum unit has some wobblies. If it does fine with visual at 250x or so I'm good but in case it doesn't I was looking at the Planet tripod from Berlebach. It is only about 24 lbs yet looks amazingly solid. Looks like Mark at Teton carries them as well as the home site in Germany.
They are available with several different heads to accept any standard mount available right now. Looks like the real deal. Prices are actually very realistic, about $700 for the Planet. Anybody use these?

#2 Per Stymne

Per Stymne

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Söderbärke, Sweden

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

From what I have heard, the Vixen HAL 130 is quite stable. However, I chose the short Berlebach UNI 8 tripod + the Sphinx half pillar for my Sphinx SWX and Intes-Micro MN66. With the half pillar on top of the Berlebach, the OTA doesn't hit the tripod even when the OTA i pointing to the zenith.

The tripod + half pillar combination puts the eyepiece at a comfortable height. For the TEC 140 you need a taller tripod, so the Planet should be perfect. As an alternative, the UNI 18 is the same height as the Planet, but somewhat lighter and easier to transport.

When carrying the MN66 with accessories (13 kg/29 lbs), the UNI 8 is stable as a rock even without the accessory tray. I suppose the UNI 18 should be more than adequate for your SXD+TEC 140, but if you want overkill stability, pick the Planet.

Attached Files

#3 ottovonrotton

ottovonrotton

Vostok 1

• Loc: Where is Port Perry?

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Just a thought have you looked at the deal at http://www.bigbinocu...om/tradeins.htm for the Oberwerk
or Universal Astronomics heavy duty tripod which I have and is great.

#4 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

I have a Berlebach UNI 24 that I used with a DM-6 and a few other mounts. They are superb tripods and well worth the price. Everything about them is top quality, from the wood to the hardware to the finish. The Oberwerk tripods that are popular now are in a completely different league from the Berlebachs or AP/Baader (another fine wood tripod). For quality, rigidity and damping characteristics you can't go wrong with a Berlebach at its rated capacity. I'm reluctantly selling my UNI 24 now only because I'm moving to a pier.

#5 Cosmosphil

Cosmosphil

Apollo

• Loc: So. California

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:02 AM

Just a thought have you looked at the deal at http://www.bigbinocu...om/tradeins.htm for the Oberwerk
or Universal Astronomics heavy duty tripod which I have and is great.

They are all nice and the price is right but the load capacities are a little the low side. We are essentially talking about binocular tripods although the largest ones could definately be used. Also, I wonder what kind of heads are available for which mounts? What do you have mounted on yours?
The Berlebach Planet is rated at over a 200 lb capacity!
Even the lighter ones like in the picture above are rated in the 100 lb level. If there is any torsional flexure I do NOT think it will be the tripod!

#6 andydj5xp

andydj5xp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:11 AM

Phil,

I'm using a Berlebach UNI19 for my TEC140 for several years now with good success. The advantage of this particular tripod is the center column which enables a seated position for every altitude. Since it is not clearly seen on the pic: I do not use any counterweight. Together with VSP's it's rock-stable up to magnifications well in excess of 200x.

Andreas

Attached Files

#7 eddie kirkland

eddie kirkland

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

What mount head are you using with your setup?

#8 andydj5xp

andydj5xp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

What mount head are you using with your setup?

I'm using the AYO mount (WO EZTouch).

Andreas

Attached Files

#9 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Does anyone have direct experience with both the Baader/AP and the Berlebach? I'm just curious - which of the Berlebachs would the AP/Baader be the most comparable? The Planet? UNI series?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics