Losmandy G-11 power question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Schroeder

Paul Schroeder

Mariner 2

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Greetings -

I have what I think is a simple question. I'd like to get an AC - DC power converter for my G-11, and I've found one (made by Pyramid) that puts out 13.8 volts DC at 5 amps. I have the cable with a cigarette-lighter plug to connect to the mount, I just need the power source.

Would this be a good choice for the G-11, which nominally has a 12 volt / 500mA requirement?

Thanks!

Paul Schroeder

#2 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hi Paul,
Are you asking about power requirements for a Losmandy G-11 AND Gemini?

From your description, as long as your unit delivers regulated 13.8v, then it should be fine for running the G-11 mount certainly.

However, for a G-11 + Gemini mount solution its worth noting what the manual at Page 11, Section 2.2.4 Power Requirements states:

"The Gemini System requires 12 - 18 Volts DC, 3 Amps to operate. You will need to have a battery or regulated DC power supply. Your choice of power supply is very important!

Many DC power units are not regulated, provide too little current, and too little or too much voltage. This can cause problems with the Gemini. If you plan to run other equipment from the power supply, make sure it has enough additional capacity.

Choose your power supply carefully to meet the requirements mentioned above, and avoid potential problems such as long power cables."

Hope this helps.

Regards,

skybsd

#3 Paul Schroeder

Paul Schroeder

Mariner 2

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

Thanks, this is for the G-11 only. The power supply from Pyramid is indeed regulated.

Best regards,

Paul

#4 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hi Paul,
That power supply will be sufficient.
You might want to consider replacing the cigarette lighter plug with a more secure connector. The lighter plugs are prone to making intermittent contact.

dan

#5 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hi,
I use the same power supply for my G-11 and it also runs my ST2000xm camera and filter wheel with no problems at all.
Blueman

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics