Photo

Celestron CG5 Firmware Upgrade Help!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

I was hoping to upgrade my CG5 with All-Star (I was told it's possible). The problem I am having is the driver cd-rom that came with my RS232 cable is no where to be found and I can't find the drivers anywhere online to download. So without the drivers, my laptop can not "talk" to my CG5 hand controller... can anyone direct me to website where I can download the drivers? The firmware is already downloaded on my pc....

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

You don't need a special driver. You just need HCUpdate.

You can download it here.

-Wade

#3 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

Is the cable a USB to com port (RS232)? A cable for my scanner uses drivers from a company called FTDI Chip. (Virtual COM port) Who makes the cable?

Bruce

#4 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

The problem I am having is the driver cd-rom that came with my RS232 cable is no where to be found and I can't find the drivers anywhere online to download.

If you're talking about the Celestron Navigation Cable which is RS232, I don't think you need a driver. The question is whether or not you have a serial port on your computer and also which com port you're using. With my setup, com4 is the only one that will work.

If you don't have a serial port, you will need a USB to serial adapter cable. I use the Keystone Serial Adapter which works just fine. I've heard that some USB-Serial adapters don't work as well, but I've never experienced that. The USB-Serial cable requires a driver.

Patrick

#5 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

The cable is a Celestron purchased from Astronomics along with the serial port to USB adapter. This is what my laptop is telling me needs drivers to work... WadeH237: Thanks for the link, but that's the upgrade I already downloaded but I am unable to transfer the info to my hand controller.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

I was hoping to upgrade my CG5 with All-Star (I was told it's possible). The problem I am having is the driver cd-rom that came with my RS232 cable is no where to be found and I can't find the drivers anywhere online to download. So without the drivers, my laptop can not "talk" to my CG5 hand controller... can anyone direct me to website where I can download the drivers? The firmware is already downloaded on my pc....

I assume the problem is with a USB - serial cable? Didn't you install the drivers when you first got it? If so, you don't need to do that again. If you never installed them, just go to the website of the manufacturer of the USB - serial adapter.

If, OTOH, you have a working serial port, you don't need any kind of drivers to talk to the scope. If you are not communicating, you've probably entered the wrong serial port number. As mentioned previously, you just need the Celestron specific serial cable (plugs into the HC) and the Celestron firmware update program that can be downloaded from their website.

;)

#7 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

No, I didn't install them when I got it... There is no manufacture name on the USB-serial adapter. I emailed astronomics (where I bought it) to see if they could either email me the file or direct me where I can download it....
gosh I love computers... :smashpc:

#8 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

When I needed a driver, I Googled 'serial to USB driver' clicked the first result and downloaded and installed. It's always worked... was I just lucky?

#9 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

either you're lucky or I'm unlucky... still trying....

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

There is some USB-serial adapter driver support in Win XP, particularly with SP2 but it's not universal. Some adapters do still require a driver load, and this appears to be the case with the Celestron branded USB-serial adapter that JadeSmith bought.

A few options ...

- get "lucky" with a random download from the web
- have Astronomics send you a copy of the included CD that comes with the USB-serial adapter (or better yet just email you the driver off of the CD)
- get a hold of someone at Celestron who can tell you what brand adapter they actually use and find the appropriate drivers (assuming you can't eyeball any manufacturer information on the adapter yourself)

#11 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

awaiting to hear back from Astronomics.... hopefully they can email me the driver file from one of their other adapters...athough logic would tell me that the one I have might not be the exact model they have. It's not like it says "Celestron" anywhere on it. "Made in China".....ha!

#12 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

PM Sent.

Bruce

#13 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

Windows Update may be able to find the drivers you need. It can take some time and some seem to need the installation to be run twice.

Chris

#14 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

I have officially given up. :smashpc:

Nothing works. Astronomics can't help either.

Oh well. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

#15 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

I have officially given up. :smashpc:

Nothing works. Astronomics can't help either.

Oh well. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

http://www.optcorp.c...t.aspx?pid=8134

its backordered now but thats what I used.. installs easily and I was able to update my scope. of course once you have that you need also the celestron RS 232 cable to actually connect.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics