Photo

Saddle Adapter on the New Orion Atlas/NEQ6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Agnotio

Agnotio

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi guys. I'm a bit confused as to the benefits of the new Atlas or NEQ6. Okay there's a longer counterweight shaft, but is the ability to use 3" dovetail bars by buying an add-on 3" dovetail saddle adapter really a new feature? From what I can see ADM already sells a 3" Losmandy style saddle for the old Atlas for around the same price as the "add-on "3" dovetail saddle adapter" for the new Atlas/NEQ6:

http://www.optcorp.c...5-216-217-10629

If you replace the Vixen style saddle on the old EQ6 with the one from ADM, wouldn't this be equivalent to using the new "saddle adapter"? It seems the old system might even prove more stable, because you're not adding any kind of adapter, you're replacing the 1.75" Vixen-style saddle altogether.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one.

#2 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

I just got another Atlas last week. The CW shaft is the same length as the Atlas I got last year. (But I replaced that anyway)

And in regards to the ADM Losmandy Saddle - get it. It's one of the best/easiest/quickest mods one can do to the Atlas. I got the ADM Dual Saddle though. That way you can use either Losmandy or Vixen.

#3 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

Another vote for the ADM dual saddle plate.
Just a super nice quality product.

#4 Martin Lyons

Martin Lyons

Messenger

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

My NEQ6 came with a 3" saddle fitted as standard.
No adapter was required.

#5 Agnotio

Agnotio

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

My NEQ6 came with a 3" saddle fitted as standard.
No adapter was required.

Sounds good Martin, that would at least partly justify the price hike for the newer mount. Although all I can find online says that the 3" saddle is "optional" or an "add-on", meaning that they want you to pay for it on top of the price of the mount which is still equipped with standard Vixen saddle.

Personally, I think it's disingenuous to be marketing the NEQ6 as having a capacity for a new dovetail saddle system, when the exact equivalent can be had for the EQ6 from ADM, for roughly the same price. That's the reason I went with the old EQ6, and just thought I would clear things up for any others who are currently looking at these mounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics