Photo

VIXEN SXD'WOULD YOU BUY IT AGAIN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

I am a big vixen fan'Use the GPDX for years'and really like the quality and their killer polar scope.Now the big question'Now that the SXD has been out for a while.What are you impressions'Would you buy it again for imaging.Thanks BOB :help:

#2 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

I have owned a few of the SXDs and SXWs. I now own Tak mounts. I think they are great mounts for AP and the SXW was one of the best tracking AP mounts I had used so far. Just was a great sample for AG'd AP.

The SXD was not such a success at the time since it had not yet had the issues with the tracking resolved as it does now with firmware 2.1. Seemed to work OK with version 35 so that was the best experience I could report. There was still a lot of backlash but I might consider another one with the new firmware after following reports from Miguel.

The polar alignment system is very similar to the EM200 Tak mounts and very accurate. The Tak is a hair better but those nice ALT/AZ adjustments were certainly high on my list and that was what eventually sold me on the Tak.

For lighter duty use, "YES !!" on the SXW. For light to medium duty use, a "yes, I would like to try it again with V2.1" for the SXD.

S

#3 Miguel Lopes

Miguel Lopes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:11 AM

For a lightweight, portable mount for visual observing, big YES.
For an AP mount for FL <1000mm yes
For an AP mount for FL >1000mm maybe, if we find a way to reduce DEC backlash
For an AP mount with an AO unit, excelent!

For permanent, robotic observatory, big NO.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics