CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lulin, blazar, open cluster and Ha prom (really)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#26 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:18 AM

And here we have a more accurate representation, complete with astigmatism in the outer 15% of the field:

Attached Files

#27 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Jeff,

You need to ask "yourself" some questions at some point- which way "do I think is best"? Am I trying to make a pleasing sketch for myself or others? Am I trying to make a realistic sketch as I see it? Am I trying to do all of these at the same time? If the seeing is very good you may see diffraction rings in addition to spider diffraction spikes. Should I put all this in a sketch? If the seeing is bad the stars may be blurred. Should you sketch the stars blurred if they look that way? Should you sketch them the way they look under ideal conditions if conditions are not ideal?
These are the kinds of questions you are asking yourself now. Jeff, your sketches are fantastic and continue to get better. Certainly better than anything I have done.
I don't feel there is any one best way.
I have yet to make a sketch I am completely happy with. It may never happen. But the quest is the fun part anyway.
The variations in sketches submitted here makes this a wonderful place to visit, look and learn.
For me there is no one best way to sketch anything astronomical. All sketches are the mind-eye-hand of our fellow beings. Vive la difference!

Frank :)

Frank

You have opened up questions about art vs science that plague me constantly. Especially the question,"Am I making art to please others or myself?" I admit that I am on the fence about all of this. I also admit that there are many amateurs such as you and Jeff that are much more accomplished in observing than I. I consider you and Jeff and several others here to be closer to professional level compared to me. I am but a mere artist first. But I must also admit that Jeff is improving his art to very admirable multi-levels of experimentation and I commend him.

He is brave to combine photoshop with hand sketching. Something that I have only experimented in but have ultimately refrained from. As much as I enjoy playing with Photoshop, I cannot utilyze it for my astronomy sketching as it conflicts with the true hand sketched art only that I have committed to.

A very interesting thread here that you, Erika and Jeff have me pondering now.

Thanks again to Jeff for this great multiple and varied post that you and Erika have elaborated on. It will serve as a good tutorial for other sketch artists to glean from.

Mark

#28 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:03 AM

One verdict is in (for me, at least). I did another sketch of Lulin last night, and no, I didn't astigmitize any of the stars. :)

Posted Image

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#29 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

VERY interesting thread, folks. Thanks!

#30 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

Jeff,

I really like these binocular sketches you have added here. You have great style in your execution, very true to the eyepiece view. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#31 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

Jeff,

Excellent observations of Comet Lulin with binoculars. The observation made near the Beehive Cluster sounds like a nice combination. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#32 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:23 AM

Jeff, what a wonderful sketch.

I like that you chose not to include the astigmatism. I find it detracts from the composition of the subject you're sketching, unless the point of the composition is to highlight and identify the visual abberation.

Great job.

#33 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

Thank you for your kind comments Tom, Frank, Carlos and Jim!

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics