Photo

New mount on the way!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

I'm getting my very first EQ mount ever, a brand spanking new CG-5GT! It's going to be primarily used as an imaging platform for my Orion 80ED. I'm also waiting on an Orion ST80 guide scope and to top it all off I'm getting a Moonlite focuser for my 80ED. :grin:

Both scopes will be mounted using a side by side setup from ADM. So, does anyone have any pieces of advice for me with this brand new mount and in general with this configuration? What should I look out for and be prepared for, etc?

#2 Sn0man

Sn0man

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

Funny, i've been oogling over the exact same mount for the last 5 hours ... got my finger on the paypal trigger, ready to hit "BUY NOW" lol

Looks like a great mount, and when it's going for $590US, how can you go wrong?

#3 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:26 AM

Yea, I figured the same thing with regards to the price too. I considered other mounts like the Sirius EQ-G, but they are significantly more expensive and not that much better. I think the CG5 is nice beginner mount for a beginning imager like myself. Er, at least I hope so.. :D

#4 InterStellarGuy

InterStellarGuy

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:37 AM

hehh better act before it gets even higher. I got mine for 545 from high point scientific, but like 2 days after, it went back up to 599 :D

#5 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

You're going to love it!! My only suggestion is get a lot of sleep now, because when it arrives you won't be sleeping much...

Another suggestion is to set it up in the daytime and familiarize yourself with the setup, before going out in total darkness..

#6 Waduino

Waduino

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

Great. Can anyone comment on the stability of the mount/tripod fully extended (for my TV85)? I was next to one the other night and it seemed very quiet.
Wad.

Duh, sorry, I posted this to the wrong forum.

#7 Dave H.

Dave H.

Mariner 2

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

That mount should handle a light OTA such as a TV 85 like it is not even there.

Uh, I am not sure I would necessarily choose the word quiet as a term to describe the slewing of a CG5 though... I have owned them in the past and while I don't think the sound is really that objectionable, some have described it as being similar to a coffee grinder :shocked:

That being said, I have always had to budget my astro dollars well, and I think the CG5 is one of the best values available in a GOTO EQ mount, and for $590 you should be very pleased with that mount. :grin:

I would only suggest you check to see if there is play in the RA and DEC axis as soon as the mount arrives. If the play is not excessive or even better not noticeable at all, you should have a great mount. I have seen a few CG5s with far too much play in the gears, and some that seem to be fine. If you happen to be unfortunate and get a mount with excessive play in the RA and DEC axis, IMHO the best thing to do is deal with it right away as that problem could give you real headaches.

Congratulations and best of luck with the new mount :jump:

#8 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

I've never extended the legs all the way so I can't speak to that. I have mine out maybe half way so that I am able to get the alignments done without laying in the dirt. I've got right at 15 pounds for it to spin and it does fine. Good balance is imperative.
You might also consider upping the version on your hand controller to 4.15. That has the All Star Alignment, and the Goto's seem even better than before.

#9 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

I would also suggest that you get a battery with 17HA at least. If the battery gets low the mount can star doing some wierd things. I use my mount at full extention and it is very stable. For AP though I am getting a Skywatcher eq6-pro. It is much better at handleing the loads of AP. But over all the cg5 is a good mount for beginers.
Dan

#10 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

I will be using the 2.5 amp power supply by Celestron, as this mount will be used in my backyard which has such a plug. I think this mount will be more than enough to handle the load of my two small refractors for AP.

#11 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

I will be using the 2.5 amp power supply by Celestron, as this mount will be used in my backyard which has such a plug. I think this mount will be more than enough to handle the load of my two small refractors for AP.

You'll be fine!! Except that Moonlite may be too heavy... better send that to me!! :wron:

#12 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

The CG5-GT is a nice mount. The PA routine is good enough that if done properly, you'll be good for guided imaging...no need to drift. I've owned several mounts and the CG5 gets the trophy for being the noisiest, however. It there is a drawback to the mount, that's the only one I can find, especially for the money.

David

#13 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Is there anyway to dampen the noise of the mount that is not too technical and doesn't involve me destroying my brand new mount? :tonofbricks:

#14 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

You'll be fine!! Except that Moonlite may be too heavy... better send that to me!! :wron:

:roflmao:

#15 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:23 PM

Is there anyway to dampen the noise of the mount that is not too technical and doesn't involve me destroying my brand new mount?

Long cables!! :cool:

#16 joelwhicker

joelwhicker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

I am just curious, in the 2005 review of the CG-5 in the S&T archives Alan Dyer says that the backlash in declination of this mount prevents autoguiding. The article also mentions (IIRC) that the periodic error is on the order of ~100 arc seconds.

Has the mount been changed or improved since this review?

#17 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

No crushing my hopes and dreams! :bawling:

#18 joelwhicker

joelwhicker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:04 AM

No crushing my hopes and dreams! :bawling:

Not at all. I am interested in the mount too. I am sure that review was when the mounts were new on the market. From what I have seen here, these are not issues. I was just wondering if there was and update or upgrade along the way.

#19 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

My CG5 is an older sloppy model and I autoguide with no problems. It's not uncommon to have to run the PHD calibration twice to clear all of the backlash, but it does work. I've gotten excellent 10 minute subs, but never measured the PEC (and don't feel the need).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics