Photo

Atlas questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

I see where orion has 3 months installment pay.So I was thinking about the atlas.Want a Tak mount but money is tight.I do imaging and visual.How is the atlas out of the box.I am not the type that can take the mount apart and rebuild it.Will it work fine like is.Also if I get the Orion guide star shoot'do I need the goto version to make it work or will the dual axis controller work.Any other things need to be done.Thanks BOB :question:

#2 DonR

DonR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

My Atlas is very smooth and works well for autoguided astrophotography without any modifications. The Starshoot Auotguider does not require the goto version, it will work with the dual axis version. Also, you can convert the dual axis Atlas to Go-To for the cost of an EQDIR module (about US$40) plus some free or low cost software. With this option you are tied to a computer, but of course you need one to operate the Starshoot Autoguider anyway.

I'm sure you realize this but I'll say it anyway since you asked - you will need a guide scope and a means of mounting it along with the main scope - I assume you will be imaging with the Tak Tsa 102.

#3 MichaelW

MichaelW

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

Orion has a 100mm that is a good guide scope for pretty inexpensive.

At the focal length I would not hesitate to recommend the Atlas as when I had mine I was quite happy.

The 3 month pay plan is a great option that Orion has come up with. It tickled my fancy as I await another mount option. ;)

My only problem with my Atlas was the grease and cold, cold temps.

#4 Fortune07

Fortune07

Vostok 1

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

You can't go wrong with the Atlas, I have been using mine for about 5 months, no mods done to the mount itself and have been imaging in -15 deg weather. I am using an Orion 4.5in f/4.9 reflector as a guide scope. I did install EQMOD and I am using GPUSB in conjunction with PHD Guiding(freeware). Prior to using the autoguiding I was getting 90 to 120 sec subs. I have been very happy with this mount right out of the box and would recomend it to anyone.

#5 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

Thanks Guys for your feedback.BOB

#6 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

And don't be afriad of mods. Changing the saddle is as easy as unscrewing 3 screws, taking the old saddle off, placing the new one on, screwing the 3 screws back on.

But, it should work great right out of the box. Just remember when inputting the time zone, press UP (not down) when changing the "+" to a "-"

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics