• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

The Facts

The sketch was developed on March 3, 2009 during an hour of observing a section of moon that is called the Altai Scarp. It is a wall or fault line that extends about 300 miles and has sections that are nearly 2 miles high. While it is a prominent lunar feature, it takes the right angle of sunlight to see it clearly. At our 4th day observing site, I set up an 8 inch Schmidt Cassagrain telescope with an astro-video camera that put the image on a high resolution screen (magnification-250X) in order to study and sketch the feature when the light angle permitted the scarp to be seen clearly.

Technical Stuff

The view was beautiful for 15 minutes until a light layer of clouds pulled over, but I was able to increase screen brightness to capture the prominent features during the remainder of the hour or so until everything was too fuzzy. It is the second time I have used (and like) the Strathmore Artagain assorted tints paper (I used an off-white granite looking color which is about the medium tone of the color image I sketched). Equipment: 8 inch C8; Pro Dob MallinCAM video cam @ 1/3000 second with no gain; Sanyo high resolution color monitor; sketch station is 20 feet away from scope and in a semi-heated area. Medium: charcoal and pastel. Final picture: simple scan of 9 in x 5 inch area then cut/crop/change to 100 dpi/save for Web using Photoshop elements 2.0

The Lesson

Having the correct light for the study and sketch reminds me of the light that Jesus Christ puts on my soul. Left to my own understanding, an evaluation of my soul will produce the wrong conclusion because I cannot see correctly. With His light, however, my faults, my failures, my need for God become clear. This is the lesson of the parable in Matthew 18:9-14 (the story about the Pharisee and the tax collector). The Pharisee was self righteous and was judging himself using his own rules in comparison to other people. The tax collector was humbled before God and asked for mercy in light of God’s righteousness. Jesus states that the tax collector went home justified before God.

Roland

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

Roland,

This is a most impressive rendering and excellent media selection. :cool: :bow: I think this is the best sketch you have made and that is saying much because your sketches are always outstanding. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#3 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

Roland,

A very pleasing sight to behold.

One of your best sketches, I believe.

You've put your sketching skills to an ever higher level. :bow:

#4 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

Wonderful sketch Roland.

It has quite a 3D quality to it.

I have stopped lunar sketching until I get enough time to practice making craters look more like craters! It is quite difficult for me to capture the 3D feel from observing lunar scapes. Well done!

#5 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Viking 1

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:37 AM

Very fine sketch, thank you for sharing.

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:42 AM

Roland,

A beautiful and accurate observation of the Altai Scarp. You have captured this lunar feature very nicely. The Strathmore Artagain tinted paper is excellent for this (and many other) observation. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

We are all humbled by the beauty of the heavens provided by God.

Carlos

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

Your comments are appreciated but you give me too much credit for a little ability that comes from the same One who gives me breath and made the seen. Thanks. Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics