• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nitesky

nitesky

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina, USA

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

I am thinking about purchasing the C-8 SCT skywatcher scope on their computerized EQ5 PRO mount. Only posts that I found so far seem to be mount X vs this mount.

Even using google I really don't find any reviews by users of this scope and mount. So, looking for anyone who has purchased one to offer their experience/opinions of this mount with a 8" SCT attached. Does it seem Beefy enough?

I want to do astrophotography so curious too if the additional weight of a DSLR and autoguider such as an Orion would likely present problems do to weight. I believe I read somewhere that this mount would support a C11 but think on that they use 2" tripod legs.

Thanks
Jim

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

I am thinking about purchasing the C-8 SCT skywatcher scope on their computerized EQ5 PRO mount. Only posts that I found so far seem to be mount X vs this mount.

Even using google I really don't find any reviews by users of this scope and mount. So, looking for anyone who has purchased one to offer their experience/opinions of this mount with a 8" SCT attached. Does it seem Beefy enough?

I want to do astrophotography so curious too if the additional weight of a DSLR and autoguider such as an Orion would likely present problems do to weight. I believe I read somewhere that this mount would support a C11 but think on that they use 2" tripod legs.

Thanks
Jim

Main comment? Most people prefer the Celestron version, the ASGT C8-SGT. Why? The HC and its software are considerably more advanced with more features.

Otherwise? If you don't mind the SynScan HC, this is a perfectly valid choice, and will handle a C8 and camera for imaging.

AFAIK, the tripod legs are the same on all CG5/Skywatcher EQ5 mounts at this time.

#3 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

This is my 8" Meade SCT along with an Orion ST-80 piggy backed to a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro mount. Is the EQ5 PRO different to the HEQ5-PRO? My HEQ5 PRO is rated at a 30lb max load.

Attached Files

#4 nitesky

nitesky

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the info. According to Skywatcher's product page, the EQ5 is rated for 25lbs payload. So apparantly NOT the same specs as yours but thinking OTA, small guide scope and DSLR should still be in that weight?

#5 nitesky

nitesky

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

Thanks. Well this may still be the scope/mount for me since I'm mostly interested in being able to slew to RA & DEC I give it as compared to a guided tour, etc. I did notice that the SynScan HC had only 30k objects which is less I believe than the other but the other important features I was looking for were there.. algorithm for PEC, backlash.. selection of tracking speeds.. 1,2,3 star alignmnet.

#6 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

I find that the database has more than enough and maybe not enough. If not out at a dark site, I find a good planetarium program on a laptop interfaced with the mount gives me a better perspective than using the hand controller and not knowing where a lot of objects are. You get a good picture of what's out there in real time and you can slew to a star or other objects that aren't in the SynScan database.

#7 adamsp123

adamsp123

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: welshpool mid wales UK

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hi, the EQ5 has a lower load rating than the HEQ5 but for astro-photography the EQ6 is a good choice if you can afford to pay the extra money.
For AP you really need a very sturdy mount and de-rate the max load to get best AP results.

pete

#8 EricRemy

EricRemy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Hi: I've had this mount for a while and sold it to get the HEQ5 insteade. The good people at Skywatcher have made a good effort to improove the EQ5 but it's still a cheap chinese mount even if it is beefed up. Mine couldn't be polar alligned because the castings were off. This will not be able to be used for astrophotography. Get the HEQ5 or Atlas/ Sirius instead.
Hope this helps.

#9 dpastern

dpastern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

I'd personally go with the EQ6PRO to be honest (aka Orion atlas) - better mount, will take the weight better. Just my honest opinion.

Dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics