Photo

Comet Lulin over Belgium.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

Comet Lulin.

Until now I had only seen the comet through the sketches of this forum. With these beautiful sketches in mind, I finally turned my little binoculars towards Lulin. I knew its trajectory and expected to bump into the comet somewhere between Leo and Cancer. And in fact I did find the comet very easily. It’s a bright target. The bright nucleus is very conspicuous. At first sight, Lulin reminded me of an unresolved globular. After a few seconds, I could clearly determine the direction of the weak tail of the comet. Averted vision was mandatory. Of course, the binoculars were mounted, which also supported the averted observation of the weakest details. You may need averted vision as well to see the comet tail in my sketch.

Site : Bekkevoort, Belgium ( 51° N )
Date : March 2, 2009
Time : around 21.15 UT
Binoculars : Bresser Spezial-Jagd 8x56
FOV: 5.9°
Filter : none
Mount : Trico Machine Sky Window
Seeing : 3/5
Transp. : 3/5
Sky brightness : 19.56 magnitudes per square arc second near zenith (SQM reading).
Nelm: 5.3
Sketch Orientation: N up, W right.
Digital sketch made with Corel Paint Shop Pro X2, based on a raw pencil sketch.

(Note: if the sketch does look too dark on your monitor, try to darken the room.)

Attached Files

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

Rony

Very nice sketch work :bow: :bow: :bow: You are rendering about the same as I see the comet from light polluted skies at 7 miles out of downtown Portland. I can just barely make out the tail with binoculars and averted vision, exactly as your sketch shows.

Although there are many beautiful photographs in the web, your sketch shows the true and accurate eye visible image from urban skies and should serve well to educate other readers.

Thanks for posting your work and sharing the veiwing tips,

Mark

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

Rony,

Excellent sketch of comet Lulin. :bow: :cool: :rainbow: As it moves to the west and away from earth it is great to see we will continue to get opportunities to view our departing visitor for a while longer. With that hyperbolic orbit it will not be back. Great sketch Rony. :bow:

Frank :)

#4 varmint  Happy Birthday!

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

Rony, great capture. I did have to wait until dark to really view the image (too much glare on my monitor).

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

Rony,

An outstanding observation of Comet Lulin. You have captured the appearance of this ghostly interloper very nicely. The ion tail does require the use of averted (not inverted!) vision. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

Beautiful wide field view. It really is fun to watch it. Roland

#7 asteroid7

asteroid7

Skylab

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

Ditto, nice wide view sketch

#8 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics