Comet Lulin in Color in Moon Glow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

The little comet is much harder to get when immersed in moon glow -- even with video astro to assist the effort. It seem slightly smaller from the last time I sketched it but it may just be the overwhelming moon glow. The nucleus region that is extremely bright is smaller; the very faint green can still be seen; the tail is about 1.5 times the length that I sketched. For astro video users, the moon glow was so intense (1/4 moon 40 degrees away and just path zenith) that the normal settings with any gain froze the video integration process, which is a safety feature. I had to turn the gain off and still could not go beyond 28 second integration (56 is max).

The next 3 days will be very hard for observation but after that I will take another whack at it.

Observation time: 1030 pm EST
Sketch time: 35 minutes

Roland

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

Roland,

Wonderful sketch. :bow: :rainbow: I am glad you posted your sketch and comments because I observed the comet last night with that 8 day old moon in the sky and no hint of a tail was visible. I expected the moon to interfere but I was surprised by how much.

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

Roland,

A beautiful observation of Comet Lulin in Moonlight. You have captured the nucleus, coma, and ion tail very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

Roland,

A beautiful capture of the comet!!!

#5 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

OK, here is my first deep sky sketch (I did a full solar watercolor wash a few years ago). This is the view as I remembered from that night. Regular #2 pencil and blended with finger and wood stump (a wood pencil with no lead). I tried to represent what I saw as closely as possible. Hope it is not too crude for all you guys that do this a lot.

One thing for sure. I will be looking out to purchase or make a holder for my newest digital camera for other celestiaal sights. Hmmmm, maybe I should practice sketching instead?

Clear Skies

Attached Files

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the comments, sketchers.

Starstuff....

Nice sketch and your first deep sky one?? Keep it up. Forget the camera, sketching is better, and you are on your way. You are in East Tennessee...we go through there once in awhile as we head down 81. Who knows, we might get an observation in one day. Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics