• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stuper

stuper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central California

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

I want to set up a 8" to 12" SCT on a pier in my backyard and be able to operate it remotely from inside the house maybe 80 feet away. I want to use an alt-az mount to provide the most comfortable eyepiece location on nights I want to observe at the eyepiece. Mount alternatives include the LX200 Classic, the newer LX200, the Nexstar, the CPC, or maybe others I haven't thought of. Which one of these is going to be the easiest to operate remotely?

#2 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

I think your remote operation will be independent of whichever mount/scope you choose. A wifi laptop connected to the mount and in range of your home netwetwork should do the trick. Buried cable with signal boosters are another option.

#3 stuper

stuper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

Your post reminds me of something I meant to mention in the original post. If possible, I'd like to do this without having a laptop outside next to the scope. Is this possible, and which mount is most amenable to this? Thanks!

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Scope control will be the least of your worries. As Gary suggested a remote controlled PC will be a good choice but you still have to think about bandwidth for video (assuming you're going to use real time video for pointing and possibly view DSOs as well).

#5 idahoman

idahoman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho, USA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

I am robotically running a Celestron Nexstar 9.25 GPS from in the house at a distance of about 100'. I am using CablesToGo Superboosters to stretch my USB. My actual cable length is 150' (stock cables from CablesToGo). I have no computer in the observatory. This single buried cable runs my CCD camera, telescope, and focuser. It cannot, however, do USB 2.0.

#6 stuper

stuper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Would that USB Superbooster work just as well with the LX200 Classic, LX200 GPS, or CPC scopes? BTW, are you anywhere close to Boise or McCall? I'm going to be up that way in a few weeks visiting family. If so, maybe I could stop in to see your setup.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics