• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zdravko

zdravko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maribor,Slovenija

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

I just got my self a used CGE mount and I got it without the original instruction manual.I found the hand control manual on the Celeston Web page.Since it is my first GEM and I would not like to make some mistakes or damage the mount on the fist night out.Does anybod have the manual in PDF file or knows where to downlad it.
Any help will do.
Thanks Zdravko.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

here it is.

#3 GeorgeNC

GeorgeNC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Land of the Sky, North Carolina

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

CGE Manual

#4 Arbacia

Arbacia

Apollo

• Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

But... update the hand control to 4.15 and then using the same cable (not the other as stated in the old instructions) update de motor control.

After that for the hand control follow the the last version manual for Nexstar, not the one that appears in the peviou links.

Check the celestron site for updates

#5 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Danville, California

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

Before you bother with an older manual, go to this site and read about the latest CGE firmware for the hand control and motor control. Make sure you read about the age of your hand control and determine if you want a newer version. This site has links to new manual revsions, which you can download. You will also want to update your HC and motor firmware, and this site explains how to accomnplish the updates.

http://www.nexstarsite.com/

#6 zdravko

zdravko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maribor,Slovenija

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks a lot guys.

#7 Arbacia

Arbacia

Apollo

• Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

Note that now it is not necesary to use a different cable to update the handcontrol and motor control. In the Nexstarsite describes the older procedure using two different cables

#8 GerryMac

GerryMac

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

I'm new to the CGE, and Eq mounts in general, and I have to say, I have not found the CGE manual to be well written. Given the cost of my CGE 1100, i would have expected a better manual.
One point worth noting since the release of the CGEM and the CGEPro is that the old CGE manual is now out of date. It still lists Polar Align as an exercise on Polaris alone, whereas I'm using the anystar align that came when I upgraded the NexStar software. There are a few other changes too. these are documented with the Handset software version upgrade.
I'm sure the more expert among the inmates here dont really need good manuals, but I'm afraid that I appreciate a good comprehehensive and well written manual.

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:12 PM

Since the hardware hasn't changed, only the software ... Old CGE manual + HC sw version upgrade addendum = new manual.

Yes Gerry, it would be nice to see new all incorporated CG5 and CGE manuals but in light of todays economic issues and the fact that the CGE is likely approaching the end of it's sales lifespan it's not likely we're going to see anything.

Welcome to CN by the way ... great first post.

#10 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Danville, California

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Gerry:

Ysou are right, the manual leaves much to be desired. It fails to include step-by step instructions, with detailed photos, on setting up and polar alignment. There is almost no material related to using the mount for imaging. There is important info missing, like detailed instructions on adjusting the altitude setting. Owners must learn through forums and user groups, and we can thank members of CN for being there!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics