• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: StonyHill Observatory

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

Times are tough nowadays let's face it. As much as we'd all love an ASA or Dreamscope sitting on our mounts, not everyone has the bottomless pockets it can take to own one. For those of us on a budget that still want maximum performance for their money there is another option....

I'm pleased to announce that I am starting production on the new 8" f/4 DSMC Carbon Fiber Astrograph. Each one will be hand built around proven optics and components offering amazing performance at an affordable price. I will be starting production/testing on the first one in about 3 weeks. As each set of optics and sub components are ordered on a scope by scope basis and each scope is put together by hand by 1 person, production time from start to finish looks to be around 12 weeks. They say the "Devil is in the details" and it will show with these scopes. All fasteners internal to the OTA will be blackened or flocked. Stainless hardware used wherever possible and the scope will be tested prior to shipping. The basic scope will be built as below. You do have your choice of focuser body colors, inclusion of a Baader MPCC (Additonal cost), gloss or matte tube finish as well as a White Semi-Gloss painted finish.

The scope will easily be able to cover a DSLR/APS-C sized chip with a 100% illuminated FOV. The current design shows a 100% Ill. FOV of just over 1.5" (38mm) and a 75% Ill. FOV of 2.14" (54mm). At F/4 I do suggest the use of a Baader MPCC to correct for coma and feel it should perform exceptionally well with the setup. As the main purpose of the scope is to put a "Fast" High Quality Newt into peoples hands, I have not gone the route of a custom corrector or 3" variant from Wynne as this would also require a larger more expensive focuser. I do not know how long I will be offering these but will build them for as long as I can get the optics. Each scope will be numbered. The following information is for the scope as built. Please feel free to contact me with any special requests you may have and I will work with you on building a scope specifically to your needs/wants. Fully assembled weight should be under 11-12 lbs.

DSMC 8" Astrograph

8" F/4 primary from GSO center spotted with a Catseye Triangle
Cast mirror cell
3.1" Secondary on a high quality 4 vane spider
2.5" Large Format 2 speed Moonlite focuser w Flocked Drawtube (RoboFocus/Cercis compatible Stepper Motor option is available for an additonal cost)
Carbon Fiber Tube assembly fully flocked with Protostar flocking paper. Focuser mounting area will feature an internal double plate of CF for stiffness preventing focuser flex.
Bob's Knobs collimation screws
High Quality Tube end rings
Vixen/Orion style 8x50 finder (Optional)

I am leaving the mounting options up to the buyers. I personally would recommend a set of Parallax Rings but due to the low tube weight a set of Meade/Orion tube rings could also be used.

If your interested in having one built please drop me a PM or Email at DSMandC at Verizon dot Net. I will be starting a list with the scopes being built according to your place on the list.

The complete scope as listed above will sell for $1000. I will also include shipping in that price to any CONUS address.

Thanks for your time!

CS's

Bob M

#2 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TGPNW

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hello Bobby -

Please let us see photos as soon as they become available.
Sounds very intriguing!

S

#3 Benjamin B

Benjamin B

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

E-mail Sent ! :)

#4 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• Loc: Brescia, Italy

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

Ohhhhhh I would so love to try one of these out!

:)

#5 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

E,

When the prototype is done ya never know.......I may need a Beta tester Lol.

#6 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Skyler,

I'm doing a bit of last minute tweaking as I want the 100% illuminated FOV to be as useable as possible. I am also waiting for Ron at Moonlite to finish up one of the focusers as the scope will feature one of his first large format setups for a Newt.

I'll have some ray traces up and perhaps a rendering in a few days.

#7 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Ben,

Will reply in a little bit. Have no fear I got your email.

#8 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

Bobby.........

I'm all yours! The pristine florida skies need a scope like yours!!!

...........and now that I have my EM400 I'm ready to rock with 20 minutes subs!

:thewave: I'll put up a tent at Area51 and never leave!

(and you might not see that prototype again....just some cash coming your way ;) )

#9 Benjamin B

Benjamin B

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

Bobby,

Sounds great! :)

#10 jake47

jake47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

Sounds interesting... and doable from my end.

What would be the approximate length of the scope?

#11 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

Jim,

It looks like it's going to come in right around 29 inches from the edge of the front trim ring to the edge of the back trim ring.

#12 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

Would really like to see some first light photos for the scope. Will you post them when possible?
Who makes the secondary mirror?
What will be the extra price for moto-focus motors?
Will the system handle +3lb cameras?
Plenty of back focus for cameras with filter wheels?
Thanks,
Blueman

#13 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

Bobby,
the collimation will be push/pull screws?
Also, to second Blueman question.....how much backfocus will it have with the moonlite moto-focuser? The SXVF-M25C has 17.5mm of backfocus from shoulder to CCD!

I seriously cannot wait to see one! The one I saw for other customers was a work of art!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics