Photo

StarBlast 4.5" on Voyager or Porta mount?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rtomw77

rtomw77

Apollo

• Loc: Deer Valley, AZ

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:46 AM

Does anyone use a StarBlast 4.5" on one of these mounts?

Is the StarBlast's size and weight with rings and dovetail bar OK?

How easy is it to use the slow motion controls when they are off to the side? Can you just push/pull the OTA for fine movements without turning the knobs?

Tom

#2 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

I would get the Voyager as the longer arm brings everything out further from the mount, the Porta's arm is just to short.
I just checked it(the Porta)with my Comet Catcher which is close to the size of the Starblast and it hits the legs.
You can push/pull the ota for coarse movements but would just use the slo mo knobs for fine corrections.
Those controls work rather nice.
YMMV
m2

#3 mischief

mischief

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hi, rtomw77

I'm glad you asked that. I have a StarBlast and a Voyager mount and I was wondering if I could use the StarBlast with it. It is nice to know that it would work. I'd like to be able if I go to a star party or go anywhere away from home to take one mount and maybe more than one OTA. So it seems feasible.
I'd also like to try putting the StarBlast on the Orion Alt/AZ TeleTrack GoTo mount. It should be ok weight wise.
Manny, I like your comment about light and sound.
Dorothy

StarBlast 4.5
Vixen VMC 110
Lunt 60T H alpha
Orion ST80
AT Voyager
Orion Alt/AZ GoTo mount :question:

#4 rtomw77

rtomw77

Apollo

• Loc: Deer Valley, AZ

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for the info Manny. My main concern was that the OTA would hinder access to a knob in some positions. I had not thought about the tube bumping into a leg.

Hi Dorothy. Please let us know how things work out if you put your StarBlast on your Voyager.

After looking at the Voyager picture again mounting the StarBlast tube with the finder up would place the OTA on the far side of the mount from the observer. The controls would be clear of the tube, but the eyepiece position would require a long lean forward across the tripod and mount. You would be in danger of vibrations from touching the mount.

Mounting the OTA for viewing from the same side of the mount would place the finder down and obstruct the control knobs on the far side of the mount in some positions. I'll have to think about this some more.

I was thinking of buying a Voyager mount now with the eventual aim of getting a modest 80mm ED refractor in a year or two. Putting the StarBlast on it now would be my "justification" of purchase for the CFO. ;)

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics