11 replies to this topic

#1 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

Hey there folks!

Greetings from the UK, normally you'll find me in the solar section, however I find myself here today hoping some of you have some advice / experience you can share with me...

I have an EQ6 PRO mount currently on the stock tripod which i'm looking to replace with a portable pier system. I find the stock tripod a little 'bouncy' when extended.

Here in the UK there don't seem a huge range of options available - here are a couple that i've come across >>>

http://www.bazaarbui...d=538&sinprod=1

http://www.epsilon-t...s.co.uk/mps.htm

Has anybody had any experience with either of these? Or, are there any alternatives I don't know about you can recommend? There seems to be quite a bit more choice available on the US side of the pond, and i'm curious to alternatives that could be available there - if the product is right i'd be happy to import.

Any thoughts, comments etc people can offer me would be greatly appreciated to help my decision making process.

Thanks and regards,
Mark :)

#2 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

I was looking at the Altair Astro one recently- I was actually thinking about trying to get one here in the states as it looks like it is a 6" diameter and if it was priced around $300 with shipping that would still be a good deal here- as there are no 6" portable piers available here for the EQ6 in that price range.... The Epsilon one you have linked appears to be a 4" model- which, to me probably functionally would be fine, but having put my eq6 on the Orion extension post, which is a 4", it just looks a bit spindly (not that looks have anything to do with functionality, but it is a confidence thing when putting expensive scopes on that spindly looking extension)

One additional option is the AP 6" portable pier, with an adapter plate- this is probably the beefiest one available (but I have not seen the Altair Astro or Epsilon ones in person, so this is just my opinion)

Would love to hear back from you if you do manage to inspect the Altair one.

Cheers,

Brian

#3 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I quite like the look of the Altair Astro pier but at £999 here in the UK it seems a bit expensive to me, it looks a little short maybe for using with a refractor though? I may give Ian a ring at Altair and have a chat with him...

You share my concerns with the Epsilon also - it looks rather spindly - though the plus side is it's a very flexible and versatile system in terms of accesories etc. The company is only half an hours drive for me so I may pop over for a visit to see an example in the 'flesh.'

Piers and tripods in general seem a rarity as a retro fit here in the UK - I guess the other options are to go for a custom pier, my buddy Stephen from the solar system was particularly impressed with this beast that he got >>> http://www.stephenra...Pier review.pdf The other way would to be to go for something like an AP portable pier and then get a custom adapter plate built to connect the EQ6. If anybody has any specific thoughts on alternative portable piers from AP or elsewhere please feel free to share them with me to help with the decision making process.

Cheers! Mark :)

#4 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Huh- that is weird- on the link you sent on the Altair Astro pier it is listed at 169 pounds- where are you getting 999?

I bet Ken Dauzat here in the states could make up the pier adapter plate for the AP:

http://www.kendauzat...KdpierPlate.jpg

#5 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

Doh! My mistake sorry - the EQ6 EVO upgrade on their homepage http://www.altairastro.com/ is £999 for the pier alone. Guess it was late when I was putting my links in.

Thanks for that link to Ken - I was looking at some AP piers on the web last night and theres alot of choice...

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

I have an Antares pier from Sky Instruments in Canada, and until recently Orion sold a poorly-described adapter that actually fits the Antares pier and is designed for the Atlas/EQ-6 mount head. I'll try and find the part number on the Orion adapter though I don't see it in the online catalog under mount accessories.

I haven't used it yet as I need to figure out how to remove the current adapter (for a CG5) from the pier. The current adapter has a remote head bolt tightening knob that threads through the pier wall.

Here's one source of Antares piers.

http://www.handsonop...ts_antares.html

And here's what they look like in the flesh:

Posted Image

Regards,

Jim

#7 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

My Atlas worked quite well on an A-P Portable pier. The guys at ATS created the adapter and it was a nice setup.

Ron

Attached Files

#8 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! Some really nice looking setups you've got there.

I'll check out some of the UK retailers tonight online and see if they sell any of the AP stuff :)

#9 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:18 AM

My Atlas worked quite well on an A-P Portable pier. The guys at ATS created the adapter and it was a nice setup.

Ron

Nice rig. How do you deal with the hold down bolt? Or is it verrrryyyy long?? lol

#10 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

How do you deal with the hold down bolt? Or is it verrrryyyy long?? lol

:lol: Actually, I used the stock bolt. The adapter was bolted to the Atlas and the whole assembly was placed on top of the pier, then held on with the usual wing bolts. The adapter is actually small and light.

Here's a better picture of the rig set up with my C925. :)

Ron

Attached Files

#11 cosmicray

cosmicray

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Swindon UK

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hi Mark,

I have an EQ6 on an Epsilon pier here's my review in the reviews section:

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1484

Pricey but well worth it top quality!

Ray

#12 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the link, i'm glad you have a positive opinion (and still do!) of the Epsilon. After searching round i've come to the conclusion semi portable piers like this are pretty much a rarity in the UK - there are plenty of permanent ones to choose from, but where I live at the moment a permanent one simply isn't an option. I think I may well just take the plunge and go for the epsilon, question is how do I sneak it in without the mrs noticing :question: :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics