A non-intended pair of observations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

The weather was supposed to be uncooperative and the sky seemed to agree. I finished some heavy work around sunset and happened to glance at the rising moon near some trees. The sun was low enough so the lower layer of even cloud cover was light grey--giving the moon a ghosted appearance. As I watched, the moving upper layers of air shifted to bright orange-pink contrails from high altitude passenger planes split around the "misted" moon. So tearing off my gloves and ignoring my sweaty condition I committed the scene to memory then a quick sketch. I finished, relaxed a bit, and the sky cleared near the moon. The second scene was as mesmerizing as the first and lasted about as long (less than a couple minutes. Stuff was already set up so I whipped up the second sketch while still amazed that I was treated to both beautiful scenes, although the sketches are not as impressive as sitting and watching the details emerge in the sky.

Moon: sketched with pencils first in both cases
Other layers: pastels

It was an excellent time.

Roland

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

Roland,

A beautiful scene and observation. I agree with the scripture. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#3 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

Roland,

This pair of sketches makes my evening look good! Thank you for that.

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

Roland

Beautiful sketches!

I like both images. Especially the darker one. I agree with Carlos. That line in Ecclesiastes humbles me to acknowledge this truth.

Thanks for sharing this,

Mark

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

Thank you Carlos, Rony, and Mark.

I remain a real sucker to watch rises and sets of sun and moon. It's just plain fun to sketch them on top of the enjoyment of seeing them as the sky changes take place.

Roland

#6 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

Roland, those are beautiful renditions. Like Mark I like the darker one better. There's something about the halo that draws me to it, and the shading looks like you're observing behind a tree, as if you're "sneaking" a glimpse of beauty.

Thank you for sharing.

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

Roland,

You always capture much more than just the view. :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#8 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

Thanks Frank and Jim. While the "before-sunset" view has less contrast, interesting effects occur when there are multiple layers of clouds or moisture and the layers are thousands of feet apart. Hence, the left-hand sketch. These things are pretty common, but still pretty to grab. Even the "after sunset" view is not an uncommon occurrence, but it's the quick change that got my attention. Glad you enjoyed it.

Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics