Looking for opinions on a mod

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

I have an LXD75 mount on its stock tripod....not happy with the tripod's rigidity.....going to adapt it to an lx200 standard tripod. Spoke with Ken D at Ken's Rings and Things and he makes an adapter for this purpose....

Now, the base of the adapter is a hollow aluminum tube 4 to 4.5" in diameter about 1/4" thick and about 3.5 to 4" tall..... I questioned Ken regarding making it 12" tall to kill two birds with one stone.....No problem.

Now to my mind keeping the lx200 tripod legs unextended adds stability and using what is basically going to be a custom 12"x4" by 1/4" thick aluminum pier as part of the adapter I will end up with a taller and hopefully steadier mounting system for the LXD75 than if I extend the tripod legs......Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks
Greg

#2 EricJD

EricJD

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Chesapeake VA

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

Do you currently have the older 1 1/4" legs? If so, wouldn't it be more stable to upgrade to the 2" legs tripod? That's what I have and it suits me and my two 'scope set up just fine.

If not, wont a 12" tall by 4" diameter pier be just as wobbly?

#3 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

Do you currently have the older 1 1/4" legs? If so, wouldn't it be more stable to upgrade to the 2" legs tripod? That's what I have and it suits me and my two 'scope set up just fine.

If not, wont a 12" tall by 4" diameter pier be just as wobbly?

Already have the lx200 tripod which is MUCH more substantial than the LXD75 tripod.....But yes the LXD75 tripod has the smaller legs.....

As I said, and it applies to pretty much any tripod, they are considerably more solid when the legs are not extended then when they are......I am looking for input on how much stability I am likely to lose using the 12" pier on top of it......ie which is steadier.....an extended tripod by itself or one not extended with a good solid 12" pier on it?

Thanks!

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Greg,

Welcome to CN ... and that's a great first question by the way.

A few years ago I did something similar ... I had a CG-5 that I wanted to raise the head on (bought a new refractor). I used the Orion SVP extension which is 16" and quite heavy due to it being made of steel.

In comparisons between having the stock head and the tripod legs extended vs. the raised head and the tripod legs retracted I found the later to be more stable vibration wise. Sure the wider leg stance did make the whole setup less tip prone, but vibrations die out at the eyepiece better with the extension and shorter legs. I believe this was due to a couple of factors ... the shorter legs were stiffer and didn't enhance any vibrations and the extra weight from that steel extension helped dampen vibrations.

I was sensitive to the problem of moving weight upwards on my mount. Theoretically you should experience a bit more ringing or harmonic vibration if you have weight positioned farther out on a lever ... but in my case the added overall weight seemed to counteract this effect. You do have to watch the "tipability" of the new setup, particularly if you add a heavy scope to the mix. Overall it was a good tradeoff, only a bit more tip prone but with a reduction in vibrations, and of course the primary advantage of no interference between the longer refractor and the tripod legs.

#5 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the welcome! That was exactly the input I was looking for. Logical it wouldnt be quite as "untippable" but at least I was thinking right regarding the "steadiness" factor.

Thanks for the input and I believe I will go with the 12" pier.....

Greg

Greg,

A few years ago I did something similar ... I had a CG-5 that I wanted to raise the head on (bought a new refractor). I used the Orion SVP extension which is 16" and quite heavy due to it being made of steel.

In comparisons between having the stock head and the tripod legs extended vs. the raised head and the tripod legs retracted I found the later to be more stable vibration wise. Sure the wider leg stance did make the whole setup less tip prone, but vibrations die out at the eyepiece better with the extension and shorter legs. I believe this was due to a couple of factors ... the shorter legs were stiffer and didn't enhance any vibrations and the extra weight from that steel extension helped dampen vibrations.

I was sensitive to the problem of moving weight upwards on my mount. Theoretically you should experience a bit more ringing or harmonic vibration if you have weight positioned farther out on a lever ... but in my case the added overall weight seemed to counteract this effect. You do have to watch the "tipability" of the new setup, particularly if you add a heavy scope to the mix. Overall it was a good tradeoff, only a bit more tip prone but with a reduction in vibrations, and of course the primary advantage of no interference between the longer refractor and the tripod legs.

#6 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

Been thinking on what you said regarding the weight of the steel extension also contributing to the vibration damping and have to agree.....In my case since using aluminum I might not see that benefit as much.....BUT I can always fill it with depleted uranium or the like if it is a problem :)

Again thanks for the input

Greg

Greg,

#7 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

I have an LXD75 mount on its stock tripod....not happy with the tripod's rigidity.....going to adapt it to an lx200 standard tripod. Spoke with Ken D at Ken's Rings and Things and he makes an adapter for this purpose....

Now, the base of the adapter is a hollow aluminum tube 4 to 4.5" in diameter about 1/4" thick and about 3.5 to 4" tall..... I questioned Ken regarding making it 12" tall to kill two birds with one stone.....No problem.

Now to my mind keeping the lx200 tripod legs unextended adds stability and using what is basically going to be a custom 12"x4" by 1/4" thick aluminum pier as part of the adapter I will end up with a taller and hopefully steadier mounting system for the LXD75 than if I extend the tripod legs......Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks
Greg
============================================================
Before you go on a campaign to correct things you believe are broken, you should make sure first that they are actually broken. Why do you believe that the tripod is the source of the lack of rigidity? Could the mount itself be a contributing factor? Is the tripod tensioned? What kind of telescope are you using and what is the weight of the payload? Could it be better and less costly to upgrade to a heavier mount?

#8 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Its not bad at all when the tripod is not extended....Extend the legs and bam you have pretty severe dampening issues. Problem is I DONT LIKE BEING ON MY KNEES LOL

Yep, tripod is tensioned....OTA is 7 no more than 8 lbs bare. Add a 2" diagonal and a EP.....thats it. 12 maybe 14 lbs with rings total....on a mount that is rated 30lbs visual. LXD75 head should handle this payload with no issues....and does as long as the tripod legs are not extended. Hence going to a MUCH more stable tripod for less than 300.00 including the custom adapter.....

Significantly better mount? $1000.00+ used? Cant see it :)

You did ask some pertinent questions.....Thanks!

Greg

Before you go on a campaign to correct things you believe are broken, you should make sure first that they are actually broken. Why do you believe that the tripod is the source of the lack of rigidity? Could the mount itself be a contributing factor? Is the tripod tensioned? What kind of telescope are you using and what is the weight of the payload? Could it be better and less costly to upgrade to a heavier mount?

#9 hersey0308

hersey0308

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

hey greg - here is a pic of an lxd 55 on the lx mount. i found that for visual this set up was ok if the legs where partially extended (about half way) for imaging i brought the legs back into short position. i like the idea of a 12" extention but it isn't necessary for imaging. extending the legs part of the way should meet your visual needs.
i would have liked to get you a closer look at the adaptor as it was no more than 3/4 inch high. (old pic)
best david

Attached Files

#10 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Thanks....Looking at the adapter Ken D makes I imagine it could be 2" tall or less if asked for. Since I have to have an adapter anyway it occured to me I could make the adapter a 12" pier instead I would benefit from less vibration issues leaving the tripod fully down yet still have 12" of added height. That is assuming the "pier" extension of the adapter doesnt introduce more than I save be leaving the tripod collapsed. Hence I came here to ask the experts :)

So far I get the impression I am headed in the right direction without buying a whole new better more good doin it entire mount.....Going to be a while before imaging is on my plate as I know the LXD75 will need to go or at least take a back seat along with some pretty serious investment in imaging gear investment.....

Greg

hey greg - here is a pic of an lxd 55 on the lx mount. i found that for visual this set up was ok if the legs where partially extended (about half way) for imaging i brought the legs back into short position. i like the idea of a 12" extention but it isn't necessary for imaging. extending the legs part of the way should meet your visual needs.
i would have liked to get you a closer look at the adaptor as it was no more than 3/4 inch high. (old pic)
best david

#11 pferendzo

pferendzo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: St Louis

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

I have a SVP and EQ6 mounted on Meade LX200 field tripods with the Orion mount extensions. The combination is quite stable and holds my 100ED and 8 inch SCT with little vibration - legs are usually not extended. When necessary I also use anti-vibration pads. Another option is to use surveyor tripods to gain height and stability - wood, not aluminum. The surveyor tripods can be purchased in a variety of heights and can provide a very stable platform for you mount.

Pierre

#12 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like the 12" adapter/pier idea is going to work.....I believe the lx200 will do the job. I do have a UA HD wood surveyer tripod I use with a parallelagram mount and 100mm binos and yep they are pretty sturdy.....if this doesnt work as planned it will make a good fallback position.......appreciate the feedback!

Greg

I have a SVP and EQ6 mounted on Meade LX200 field tripods with the Orion mount extensions. The combination is quite stable and holds my 100ED and 8 inch SCT with little vibration - legs are usually not extended. When necessary I also use anti-vibration pads. Another option is to use surveyor tripods to gain height and stability - wood, not aluminum. The surveyor tripods can be purchased in a variety of heights and can provide a very stable platform for you mount.

Pierre

#13 pferendzo

pferendzo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: St Louis

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

You're welcome... here's a photo of my mounts on the Meade tripod.

Pierre

Attached Files

#14 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

NICE setups!!......and yep......do believe I am headed in the right direction.....

You're welcome... here's a photo of my mounts on the Meade tripod.

Pierre

#15 hersey0308

hersey0308

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

a very nice collection of mounts pierre. rock solid business.
david

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics