3 replies to this topic

#1 aljo

aljo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Hello,

since I have a telescope for only a couple of months more than half a year, I didn't realize until now, that my mount isn't as effective as I thought it is.
I hope you don't mind, if I tell you some background. I got my mount sometime in summer last year. It was brand new. When I set it up, I just didn't know, that there are 2 screws, that opposite each other in alt-az axis. So, one got bent and I had to replace it. It was my fault, I admit. Then I also crashed the DEC axis in the "motor cover" of RA axis and I broke the plastic-fantastic button on the DEC axis. So far so good.

Now back to my problem. It all started one night, when I was observing with my friends and I mentioned, that my mount isn't as sturdy as theirs and I will probably replace it as soon as possible (which I eventually will, for Vixen GP2 or HEQ5 (if it's better built, you tell, as I am a student and don't have a lot of money)). But they said I shouldn't. My problem is, that both, DEC and RA axis "breathe" a little. It's about half a mm, but since I have a long tube (AR5 refractor, FL=1180 mm), the torque is big on the tube end and this translates in about half a degree movement. That's very annoying, as I don't have motors.
The problem is obviously somewhere in the worm... At least I think so...
What can I do? Tell me your advice!

I already did the following things. I added one extra plastic "spacer" (I think that's the way they are called) in the alt-az axis, and the alt-az stabillity improved radically. I have already played with the screws on the worms, but all I can set is the pressure to move the axis, not the "breathing space". So, what to do. If you need any extra data, I will be glad to provide it.

#2 TheMenace

TheMenace

Messenger

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:31 AM

Might as well take it all apart and tune it up while your at it.

http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/

#3 aljo

aljo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:19 AM

yes, I have this guide printed and prepared, but will it help?

#4 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

It sounds as though the worms have some lateral movement sideways ie. along the axis, lengthwise of the worm gears. That is, there is slack in the worm gear adjustment which causes free-play in the system. I don't know what the Synta looks like, but I would guess there must be some sort of locking nuts (that butt up against each other) at the end of the worm which should enable you to adjust the free-play out. Fox

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics