•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG5-GT Firmware Update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wildthing

Wildthing

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

I have a Celestron CG5-GT that I bought brand new about 18 months ago. Can someone tell me in simple terms just what I need to do in order to upgrade the CG5-GT's firmware to the latest firmware? How can I tell what version of firmware I currently have? Additional questions follow.

#1 What type of cable will I need to do the upgrade?
#2 Is the upgrade done to the hand controller only?
#3 Is the upgrade worth the effort?

Thanks for your time! Don

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

Don,

Power up the scope and go to the Version command under Utilities. You should see 3 numbers a (hopefully) HC: 4.xx and two MC: 5.xx numbers. The first number is the firmware version for the hand controller the other two numbers are the firmware levels for the two motor controllers.

#1 Celestron serial hand controller cable #93920 (if your PC doesn't have a real serial port you're also going to need a serial to USB adapter)
#2 the hand controller and the two motor controllers have firmware that can be upgraded.
#3 Yes, the latest HC firmware of 4.15 has some nice features and has more accurate gotos.

Have a look at Mike's great site for details and background reading ... http://www.nexstarsite.com/

#3 Wildthing

Wildthing

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for the info Mark!

Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics