• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chrispy

Chrispy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kyneton, Vic, Australia

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:13 AM

I'm trying to save myself some money here in Australia, Your advice would be appreciated.

I have been quoted AU$299 for the Celestron Dual Drive system for my CG-4 mount, the product code for this is 93522.

It has been suggested to me that the EQ3 mount is equivalent to the CG-4, and the drive system for the EQ3 would fit the CG-4. The price here in Australia for the EQ3 drive system is AU$199.

If this is the case I can save myself $100. but I want to ensure that I am going to be buying an equivalent product that will fit my CG-4, and include two motors, hand control, and all necessary fittings.

I'm sure there are fellow star gazers out there who have worked through this issue, and I repeat, your advice would be appreciated!

This was added after thinking about things for a while!

Maybe there are alternatives to the two drive systems I've mentioned?
Maybe there is a reasonably simple DIY solution?
I checked Amazon.com who are offering the CG-4 system at US$96, but they won't ship internationally!
Any suggestions at reasonable prices would be considered!

Thanks
Chris

#2 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

They are indeed the same. I once had them both. The CG-4 looks nicer, that's about it. And if it's an older EQ3, it doesn't have the ball bearings. The EQ3 motors will mount right on the CG-4. But it will basically only track. There is no high speed slew. And there are no motor clutches, so that you can disengage. You will have to loosen the shaft locks, get close to your target, then use the motors to find and track it. Fastest slew speed is 8x sidereal, in other words, a really slow crawl. But it does track very well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics