Technical question and philosophical question

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle Area, WA, USA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

Wow that is a terrible example of an AP'er.

I think it is a terrible example of behavior in general at these sort of events. I've seen not-so-relaxed behavior when just observing as well. And I haven't even run into the guy who has been having collimation issues all night and trying to tweak it yet.

If a guy is letting themselves be wound up over something, then that is a possible problem in the making. It doesn't really matter what it is.

#52 ALCHEMIST1

ALCHEMIST1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Home of the Aggies

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

Why do I do astrophotography? Simple, I really, really like to. Why do I spend time with a star chart and hop to those NGC objects and visually look at them through the eyepiece? Again simple, but I really, really like it. And I like to do both in the company of my friends and colleagues at the local astronomy club. Oh, you're looking for philosophy? As a Doctor of Philosophy, my philosophy is that there is room for all philosophies in our hobby.

#53 ALCHEMIST1

ALCHEMIST1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Home of the Aggies

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

Philosophically, at what point does one move from a person taking amazing photos to a person that knows how to operate some fancy astro equipment? :question:

It may be never or it may be when you think you've reached that point. From my own personal experience climbing up the astrophotography learning hill I personally believe that the hill does not have a summit. Even if I ever got to the point that I had my own remote observatory, I'm still a person taking photos of DSOs and not just someone who can operate a fancy remote observatory. The reason is that even at that point there will always be more to learn and even more to add to my skill set.

In a sense both aspects of the hobby - purely visual pursuits and purely photographic pursuits can take you as far as you would like to progress. It is up to you entirely to determine at what point you want to stop.

Anjal.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics