Photo

Worm Moon With Deep Aureole Halo 03-10-09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image

I decided to view the whole Worm Moon, not expecting much but the usual. To my surprize, the approaching clouds created a strange deep tunnel-like effect with an aureole halo surrounding the moon. Saturn was near in the above field.

I rendered this pastel sketch on 19" X 25" Stygian Black Canson paper with various pastel chalks.

Observed through 7 X 50 binoculars and 32mm plossl through my 10.1" f/4.5 Coulter Odyssey Newtonian reflector at 23:30 March 10 ~ 12:15 March 11 2009 in still air with varying clouds ranging to clear sky at times. Temperature was 35 Degrees F.

Mark
My CN Sketch Gallery
www.markseibold.com

#2 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

Mark,

A beautiful atmospheric rendition! You are without doubt a fine artist.

Mike

#3 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Mark,

A beautiful and strong impression of the moon! :bow:

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

Mark,

Tremendous yet again. I hope you submit this for March's contest. Your capture of the clouds, the moon and Saturn make me think of viewing the Ring Nebula (for some strange reason). It almost looks like Saturn is tilting in order to sneak its own peak at this wonderful view. Well done.

#5 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

Mark,

Wonderful observation, there's not much more I can add to what the other's stated. I got the tunnel feel the moment I saw it, and with the bonus of Saturn nearby as well. Very well done.

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

Thanks Mike, Rony, Jay and Jim

This was really done on a whim as you all know I play the lunar trump card too easily lately. I saw the alert in Spacewether.com for the Worm Moon. The clouds were a bonus I did not expect so it all evolved on a theme of the aureole halo by accident. I meant to do the full lunar image for the first time as larger on the 19" X 25" paper so as to render greater accurate surface details as I saw someone recently mention that I have been doing too much at only the terminator line. I himmed and hawed about using the better Stonehenge or Artagain paper to impart a smoother image for the lunar surface details (note the rough texture here on Canson paper.) I think I destroyed the image of details for the moon at this small size [only about 6" in dimater as I needed to include enough scale to add the entire halo effect to the perimeter. [*Read: Decisions to make in art.] It is in Spaceweather.com today for march 12th 2009 [unfortunately, I think I should have refined it a bit before submitting it to the world.] Hence, working in large format paper for thoose who have not got to this size yet. I recommend it.

I thought I'd share the actual images I also took with the camera. I supposed they too could be used as interesting images to work from or just display as it was the most ideal clouds I have seen yet to create this effect. Note the differing exposures of the scope from the driveway that mimic daylight as I adjusted time exposure and the camera color filters between the two. The several close-ups of the moon changed in the halo to many varying degrees of aesthetic images. I supose I could do a whole series on lunar halos for a book?

-Mark
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Nice work and nice follow-up comment/picture report. Wish I could have seen the sight and sketched it too. Roland

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Mark,

Very impressive. This sketch captures much more than the moon in the sky with clouds and Saturn. The colors and tunnel effect through the thin cloud cover are brilliantly captured. The tones and shades are expertly done. Your sketches and especially this one are "alive". :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:48 AM

Mark,

A beautiful and very impressive observation of a Worm Moon and aureole. You have captured this atmospheric phenomena very nicely. The images of the Moon and yourself observing are very nice as well. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#10 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Roland, Frank and Carlos

Thank you for your kind compliments. I almost had a religeous epiphany while observing this. I get the impression lately that there is a reason for these beautiful events . . . like making life worth living.

I am grateful that I can share these artworks here with all of you at CN.

Mark

#11 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

I never in my life heard of the term "worm moon" till I saw your post. I googled it and now I'm in the know !! Thanks Mark! Also to add that is a nice drawing !!! :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

#12 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Dr Morbius!

Glad to see that I could cheer up your angry alter ego from the Forbidden Planet! How's that daughter of yours, Ann Francis doing lately? It appears that I opened up a good can of worms. :cool: I originally heard the term Worm Moon on NPR's Science Friday I think last year. Then reminded by Spaceweather.com on Tuesday this week.

The more I see that movie, the more I get artistic about the cosmos and other planetary landscapes.

Thanks again for your artful cheer and compliments to my sketch.

Mark
My CN Sketch Gallery
www.markseibold.com
www.myspace.com/marksolarprophet
facebook

#13 darkstar528

darkstar528

Cosmos

• ****-

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

I'm at a loss of words, does spectacular or incredible cover it?! LOL

#14 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:32 AM

Stephen

Thanks for your compliments. I too was at a loss for words to describe the live scene as I observed it. The real thing is beyond layers and dimensions. I felt sorry for those who never observe the sky at all, and some are close friends of mine. For years I lost interest in the moon as an astronomical object. Many of you here at CN have rekindled my interest in many sky phenomena in the past year.

Also good to see you here in the sketch forum from the dark side of the sun forums. :cool:

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics