What and How do you want me to sketch?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

One of the threads started last week had discussions that covered topics like: why do we sketch, is it to generate an observation for ourselves, for others, is it to generate art, is it to replicate exactly what we see? There was also a thread about "writers block" or lack of energy to do one.

I have been thinking about these topics recently and thought that maybe it would be interesting to start a "you tell me" project thread. The concept floating around my head is more of a project for us sketchers to do periodically rather than a set competition (like the monthly Imaging contests).

My idea is that someone would set the target and ground rules/requirements of what they'd like to see the sketchers do for them (kind of like someone commissioning an artist for a painting). Ground rules would be like setting bounds on the target (want the entire moon disc, but details of crater Tycho a must), materials used (charcoal or pencils only), processing used (digital sketches only please, or alternatively just the raw sketch no post-processing), other methods (no photo's as source materials only your observations over the time period, only from your observations at the eyepiece, or alternatively any and all of the above are fair game).

And of course the whole point is to give a project for us to work on and have fun with it, yet it's something different in that we've got a target audience to please. Maybe we'll learn new tricks and perspectives by all working on the same target?

As for who starts it, I was thinking we could either select among ourselves (or whoever is the most eager to tell us what to do...:grin: First come first served kind of thing), or we could ask the winner of the monthly contest to tell us what they'd like to see and how we're to go about doing it.

I wouldn't want this too rule laden, it's just a concept to give us a project to work on and possibly break out of our normal sketching routines.

What do you think? Anyone interested? Has this been tried before? Would you be up for it? Could it be too limiting?

#2 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

I like your idea, I'd certainly attempt whatever project, as long as it's possible for me to do so. We all could learn a lot from each other this way. Do you want it to work in a way where someone gives an idea for everyone to do at their own pace and later post their results together in one thread? I hope this idea gets some more support, it's a good one.

I suggest that if we actually do this, you should come up with the first target(s) to sketch, since you proposed the idea.

#3 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

Jim --

Sounds fun to me. I think you'd have some drop-out for each "topic" (for instance, some sketchers might not have a solar scope, or some might not enjoy lunar), but you wouldn't have to get everyone for each one anyway.

Some folks on the Solar forum ran a couple of similar deals last year where they picked a day and everyone did a sketch or image at several particular times, and then they compared all the sketches and images. (The time thing isn't really important for deep sky, but it is for solar.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#4 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

We actually used to do that here in the sketching forum. It was called Monthly Targets/tutorials/tips .

It started off strong and then fizzled out over time. Maybe if there were enough interest generated again, the mods might set up target threads for everyone based on what is of interest that month.

#5 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

There are some great threads there, too bad it didn't last. Maybe there just aren't enough people in this part of the forum to keep interest up... I hope I'm wrong about that.

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

I agree with Tenth Enemy

It is about participation but then I'm an energy nut. I like collaborating with others especially when it melds science and art. That’s my real thing. Or perhaps I am just over-enthusiastic?

That is why I self initiated a 10,000 mile road trip just to do sidewalk astronomy across the nation in 2000 for $5,000 out of pocket; I have never been compensated but am searching for Pell Grants now as the new administration offers them. Then I continued overseas in Fiji for three trips to do the same in 2003 ~ 2004. But I was not really sketching then. I was only taking simple astro-photos while allowing the public and schools to observe. It was really quite easy (for me and I have no degree or special talent.)

We can at least [ask or invite others] to try to do some artistic sketching here. That’s easy. Iv'e heard that it is really what the new administration wants now. I have been trying to initiate that too as I search for work to do this. I am offering lectures to schools for young students to engage in this process as I have two tentative lectures coming up soon in my area. There may even be free grants now for astronomers to teach students to observe and sketch. Think about it. Perhaps Cloudy Nights could appeal to the new education systems that the President wants to see. It could only do good for your community.

Imagine that we get thousands of participants to contribute their astronomy sketch art here and it causes a generation to improve on the arts and sciences in schools. But I am not the authority here. Would this stress the Cloudy Nights system and the moderators? :question: :tonofbricks:

I have a dream: A headline soon; Cloudy Nights Astronomy Forums changes the World of Arts and Science Education with Observational Astronomy and Sketching.

It is possible, isn't it?

Mark :cool:
www.markseibold.com
www.myspace.com/marksolarprophet
My CN Sketch Gallery

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

I think it is one of those opportunity things....it is probably reasonable to expect that a chosen target over a week might get only small fraction of folks that have both opportunity (sky conditions) and a clear schedule/desire to observe. Keep it informal and try a topic/object and a period to do it and see what happens. Roland

#8 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

Instead of a week, would a month work? Also, to draw more people, could there be a beginners object and perhaps an advance object? That may bring some new people into sketching. Just a thought. I know this though, until an action is taken, the only guarantee is that nothing will happen.

#9 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

I've been out of it for a couple of days, sorry for the slow response (lotsa craziness at work keeping me from even checking in once in a while).

We actually used to do that here in the sketching forum. It was called Monthly Targets/tutorials/tips .

It started off strong and then fizzled out over time. Maybe if there were enough interest generated again, the mods might set up target threads for everyone based on what is of interest that month.

Thanks Erika, that sounds pretty similar to what I was thinking. It also sounds like it's a little less limiting than what I was proposing.

I wouldn't want to add another thing for the Mods to have to manage (Beginning Imaging just added two new Intermediate contests a month), I think we could try it as a volunteer system to start and see how it goes from there.

I also want to thank everyone for their comments, it does seem like there's some interest. I was thinking a month duration would be appropriate.

Originally I was going to comment that "I don't want to propose the target" because I want to be one of the sketchers...then I had a "Duh!" moment. I'd just be "doing it for myself" but have other's contributing too.

Since we're approaching Messier Marathon season, I'd like to propose the Leo Triplet: M65, M66, and NGC3628.

What do you think, sound like a decent target for this time of year?

#10 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:00 AM

There are some great threads there, too bad it didn't last. Maybe there just aren't enough people in this part of the forum to keep interest up... I hope I'm wrong about that.

I'm afraid I agree with Tenth Enemy but when I saw Jim's suggestion, my mind went back in time to my home with a dark sky where I could actually see the Leo Triplet in my 10.1" Coulter Odyssey. So I researched some sites. This one whet my appetite - I got lost star gazing in his galaxy gallery! >
http://nightsky.at/P...628_Newton.html

I don't know Jim. If I had a dark sky again, I'd sketch all of the Messier objects now but being in the inner city lights, the moon has a wholloping punch of image! I seemed to have inspired a few new sketch artists as I receive a considerable amount of emails from abroad. Is it working yet? :cool:

I hope others will consider your suggestions here to start this competition again. It can only do good to generate interest in sketching from the telescope eyepiece or just naked eye for that matter. I think all schools should require it of all students. They would be surprised of what they will learn from it.

How can we inspire more to try sketch art without feeling itimidated to participate? I guess it is also a personal preference depending on dark skies, perceived materials used, time limits, life-styles, etc.

Mark

#11 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

Do you want to use this thread for posting the sketches or a new one? I like the Idea of having separate threads for each object. Are we officially sketching the Leo triplet? I was planning on sketching those anyway. Unfortunately I can't remember the last time I've had a clear sky, but I'll get the sketch if it ever clears up. :cloudy:

#12 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

I was planning on starting a separate thread when I could actually get around to posting it. I think that would be tidier.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics