Photo

Does Atlas Mount Extension work on CGEM?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

Does anyone know if this mount extension will work with the CGEM? If anyone owns this accessory would you please measure the round part that goes into the top of the tripod. Looking for the diameter and length. Also trying to verify that the attachment bolt is a 12mm like the CGEM and the Sirius mounts.

The picture of this device is also kind of confusing, I can see how it attaches to the tripod but does the pin on top of the tripod have to be removed? Does that pin then get attached to the top of the extension? Also how do you attach the mount to the top of this accesssory? I don't see an opening on the side to reach in and tighten the mounting bolt, does it come apart?

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

Lane:

I have one and I'll try and get you a measurement today after work. That said, when you use it on the Atlas, you move your North-stopper pin from the tripod (it simply unscrews) to the corresponding tapping in the top of the Atlas extension. The "top" of the extension is the part with the wide, flat collar. The bottom is the part that has the little tapped nub.

These are not without issues. Because there's no stopper pin to hold the extension in place at the tripod junction, they can loosen in use messing up your alignment. Some folks actually glue'em in place. I just make sure mine is really tight on the Tripod and cross my fingers.

Regards,

Jim

#3 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

Because there's no stopper pin to hold the extension in place at the tripod junction, they can loosen in use messing up your alignment. Some folks actually glue'em in place. I just make sure mine is really tight on the Tripod and cross my fingers.

Regards,

Jim

Hey Jim, I've read where some guys put a bolt in the North stopper on the tripod plate and drill a hole in the base of the extension to receive it.

Charlie

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

Charlie, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I may have to give it a shot.

Regards,

Jim

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

Jim that would be great. Also does the top of that extension look like this. After looking at the cgem mount I realize that larger hole that is only about 1/8" deep is important and has to be there to make it fit.

Attached Files

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Jim don't bother with that measurement, I just talked with Mike at OPT and he put the extension on one the CGEM's they have sitting on the floor. He said it fit like a glove. So I ordered it.

Thanks anyway.

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

That's great Lane.

More evidence that the Atlas and CGEM are "sisters" I think.

Regards,

Jim

#8 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Jim don't bother with that measurement, I just talked with Mike at OPT and he put the extension on one the CGEM's they have sitting on the floor. He said it fit like a glove. So I ordered it.

Thanks anyway.

BINGO!!! Thanks for chasin' this down Lane, I'm ordering one as well! :waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics