5 replies to this topic

#1 BobAnderson

BobAnderson

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Shelby Ohio

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

Hello,
I just purchased a used Orion Astroview 100mm Refractor on the EQ3-2 mount and I need some info. In all the other EQ mounts I have seen if you look through the RA axis with the scope turned 90 degree you can see through it. However when I look though mine I have the shaft of the Counterweight showing. It goes all the way though the mount .
Was this made this way or is it somebody's mod to the mount.

BTW it has the Polar axis finder scope mounted and I can't see though the front opening.

#2 meteorite

meteorite

Viking 1

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hello Bob,

I have that same mount. I use it to mount an Orion ST120, both of which I love. The counterwight shaft only will only show through if you have not installdd the metal lock knob that screws onto the end of the counterweight shaft. I am betting you forgot to install it. Attached is a picture of what I am talking about.

Hope this helps!

-Walter

Attached Files

#3 BobAnderson

BobAnderson

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Shelby Ohio

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

Walter thanks for the reply. As I purchased this used the previous owner must not have installed it. there is no thing like that at the bottom of the mount. The counterweight shaft goes all the way up to the top of the mount under the saddle. Looks like I've got some work to do on this maybe some parts from Orion :p :bawling:

#4 paul hart

paul hart

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Hi Bob,
Yes you are missing that piece. Mine looks like Walters.

#5 DNTash

DNTash

Viking 1

• Loc: GMT+2

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hello Bob -- in the meantime, if you want, you can flip the mount around and use it in an Alt-Az configuration. I did that with mine. I don't need the counter weights now.

Clear skies,

Dale

#6 meteorite

meteorite

Viking 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

Bob,

Sorry for the delay. I forgot :sleepy:

Orion might be able to sell you the missing piece but I would first contact the seller. Tht piece actually provides much stablity for the counter weight shaft. Perhaps he inadvertantly left it out when disassembling it for shipment to you.

-Walter

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics