Photo

Keep the Atlas or upgrade to a CGE ???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

My Atlas is hypertuned with all the goodies and I have a line on a CGE for a good price. I've never seen or used a CGE, so I would like to get some opinions from the group on if this would be a worthwhile upgrade. It will be used for imaging only.

Thanks,
Frank

#2 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

My Atlas is hypertuned with all the goodies and I have a line on a CGE for a good price. I've never seen or used a CGE, so I would like to get some opinions from the group on if this would be a worthwhile upgrade. It will be used for imaging only.

Thanks,
Frank

Nice mount, but not a significant enough upgrade from a good Atlas to warrant messin' with IMHO.

#4 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Even for a $1600 price tag?

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

Thanks,
Frank

Nice mount, but not a significant enough upgrade from a good Atlas to warrant messin' with IMHO.

I've owned both - and for imaging the change would be well worth it. Better/bigger gears, better/bigger bearings, better/bigger tripod, PPEC, fully operational without a laptop - what's not to like?

#6 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

If that $1,600.00 CGE was in my neighborhood I would buy it just to have a backup. Buy it use it if you don't like it sell it.

I've owned both and I wouldn't go back to the Atlas without some serious downsizing of my scopes. I love my CGE. :grin:

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

Even for a $1600 price tag?

Nope. If you need More Better Gooder, save that money toward an AP Mach 1...or just use if for a couple of Ethoses. The CGE is a good mount, but not without its warts, and is more similar to the Atlas in performance than different. The sole exception is if you want to put a C14 on the mount, in that case, the CGE is the way to go, as it can hold a Celestron 14 (for visual use, anyhow).

Oh, BTW, the Atlas is also fully capable of running without a laptop.

;)

#8 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

Depends on what you're going to put on it. Want a C11 and 90mm refractor piggybacked? CGE...period. However, if it's a C8 with a 90mm refractor, you can save some money with the Atlas. HOWEVER, most trends go likte this: If I can see this much with an 8" SC, maybe I should've gotten the C11. And now that I want a C11, I'll have to sell the Atlas and get the CGE or G11. If it's in the budget, get the CGE and be done with it.

David

#9 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

Here she is.

Attached Files

#10 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

I am hearing two questions. I have no idea as to how much better it is than the Atlas, but you would be foolish not to get it anyway if you have the funds. The price seems to be pretty good.

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

Well that looks like a nice CGE with the ADM knob kit on it.

Check the hand controller ... you want the firmware version to be 4.xx so it can be upgraded. It won't matter exactly what it is as long as it is version 4.

Check that there aren't any cracks around the castings at the horizontal bolts that attach the tripod legs to the tripod head. Check that there aren't any cracks in the lower spreader bar (where the clamps go around the tripod legs). Get a set of the flat "Marty" cables from VPI to replace those white external RA and DEC cables on the mount

As long as you can handle the extra weight (vs. the Atlas) this used CGE sounds like a very good option.

#12 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

Seller says:

A very nice 2005 Celestron CGE purchased it in October 2005. Overall condition is excellent. No dings, scrapes or dents. Firmware is 4.10. Cables (see pics) upgraded. Includes ADM Tripod knob set. Includes Polar Axis finder. Includes CN-16 GPS kit and mounting bracket.

#13 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

I'd still get the "Marty" cables from VPI, they are the most flexible cables I've every seen for the mount and they are under $15 including shipping for the pair ... cheap insurance even if you don't use them.

The polar scope and GPS kit are almost worthless in my opinion ... I'd upgrade to HC firmware 4.15 right away and sell the polar scope. Evaluate the GPS (compared to using cell phone or PC time), see if you find it useful (and if your gotos are any more accurate), if so keep it, if not sell it with the polar scope.

Ask the seller to include the RS232 hand controller cable as well if possible (it should have originally come with the mount, but not in all cases) ... otherwise it's under $20 from a Celestron dealer.

#14 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

I'd agree with mclewis1 on his advice.

As for the CGE, the price is right, and the mount has been good to me (although I picked up a supercharged CGE). I don't think you will notice a huge difference in the upgrade (other than maybe the firmware), but if you do want a semi-portable mount that will take a heavier load, it will do it.

To get a light mount that is an upgrade from what you have, and aren't looking at heavier capacities, then I'd agree with Rod.

#15 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:05 AM

Check the hand controller ... you want the firmware version to be 4.xx so it can be upgraded. It won't matter exactly what it is as long as it is version 4.

I bought a CGE in 2006 that had been on display for close to a year and after I got it home, discovered that the hand controller was an early model that could not be upgraded via the internet. So not only do you want the latest upgrade, but check the bottom of the hand controller and make sure it has the plug-in that will allow upgrading. Looks as though the one you're considering is in that same time frame as mine. The dealer I bought it from was great about making the swap, but Celestron took several weeks to ship it.
As for advice, I would buy it - that's a darn good price.

John

#16 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

Where do I get the "Marty" cables from VPI? Link?

#17 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

Nevermind, I found them.

#18 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hi fetoma,

Here you go...Link

I got two 2' cables and two 3' cables thinking I'd use a 2' for the RA and the 3' for the DEC. I got two pair because they were extremely reasonable and I wanted a spare set. I'm currently using just the pair of 2' cables - one for the RA and one for the DEC. They work very well.

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:40 AM

So not only do you want the latest upgrade, but check the bottom of the hand controller and make sure it has the plug-in that will allow upgrading. Looks as though the one you're considering is in that same time frame as mine. The dealer I bought it from was great about making the swap, but Celestron took several weeks to ship it.
As for advice, I would buy it - that's a darn good price.

John

You can't tell that-a-way. they ALL have the plug-in...that's the RS232 port. The only way is by powering the scope up and checking the firmware version.

;)

#20 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hi fetoma,

Here you go...Link

I got two 2' cables and two 3' cables thinking I'd use a 2' for the RA and the 3' for the DEC. I got two pair because they were extremely reasonable and I wanted a spare set. I'm currently using just the pair of 2' cables - one for the RA and one for the DEC. They work very well.

Yep - I did the exact same thing - two pairs. These things let me image at well below 0C without binding due to the stiffness of the stock cables... Couldn't beat the price either. Highly recommended.

I love my CGE... would only replace with an AP900 or 1200 (maybe a Mach1GTO but its not any more "load capable")...

$1600 is a very, VERY good price, IMO...

clear enough skies

#21 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

Buy the CGE = unbeatable mount & price :bigshock:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics