• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

Is their a list here are somewhere that shows the average PE of the most available mounts.Would it look like this from best to worst'
Tak
AP
Vixen
Losmandy
CGE
EQ6 What would the PE no be.Thanks for any help.BOB :question:

#2 ericsolo

ericsolo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

Try this link:

http://demeautis.chr...ee.fr/ep/pe.htm

For the EQ6, check the EQ6 or EQMOD Yahoo group.

Eric

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

It depends on which mount you're talking about ... not all mounts made by each of those manufacturers have the same PE (not my a long shot in some cases).

Be careful evaluating mounts PE based on a single example, especially for lower priced mounts where the QC can vary quite a bit. Watch out for ages of mounts in various comparisons, the link that Eric supplied being a good case in point. Older versions of many mounts have evolved over time, the vendors have made improvements as they've been sold. If you don't know the age of a mount in a comparison don't be too quick to dismiss it based on a large PE.

Watch for folks who have "upgraded" or "tuned" a particular example of a mount. You can usually reduce the PE of a mount just by taking it apart, re lubricating it, and carefully reassembling it (in automotive terms this is similar to "blueprinting" an engine).

Also take a close look at the type of PE. Large swings are one thing but a large amplitude PE that is very smooth (doesn't have any high frequency changes) is going to be much easier for an autoguider to handle than a mount with a lower amplitude PE but that also has a "rough" appearance (lots of sharp high frequency changes within the general graph).

Yes, there are a lot more things to think about than just comparing a couple of numbers.

#4 gordianknot

gordianknot

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Also look at: http://www.astronoce...hp?id=33&str=10

I also think CN should start a PE database.

#5 Qkslvr

Qkslvr

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: NE Ohio, US

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Here's the PE for my CG-5 ASGT, But it has been messed with.

Attached Files

#6 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

I have to wonder how he is testing these as he has the paramount listed with very high PE, much more than they generally have.

On the first link, they have the AP mounts with the least. And the G11 came in very respectfully.

#7 gordianknot

gordianknot

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, I've been very dubious of that Paramount graph. I wonder if they made a mistake like entering the wrong params into the testing program.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics