Photo

Used CGE or new CGEM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 hevbound

hevbound

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

If I can get either one of these for around the same price which would be the better one. To be honest I don't need the size of the CGE for a 4 inch refractor but you may not know what you may do in the future. The CGEM would probably suit my needs better. It is lighter but not proven. I understand some of the CGE's also had there own issues when they came out. Both really seem to be nice mounts and should give years of great service. Does anyone have any opinions on this???

#2 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

Viking 1

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

You probably won't find a CGEM for several months. I have had one on order for awhile and Celestron keeps extending the shipping dates. Why not buy a used Atlas?

John

#3 AntarcticDave

AntarcticDave

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

I had my 4" refractor on my CGEM until the 6" arrived. It was a rock solid setup. That said, a used CGE would have an extra 25 lbs. of payload. I find that for me, being short, lifting the 40 lb. head of the CGEM up to the fully extended tripod is somewhat awkward. I don't know what the CGE head weighs, but I suspect it'd be more so. If you have to move around a lot, the CGEM might be easier on your back.

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

The CGE is a lot bigger than the CGEM or the ATLAS. If you have never seen one, it is a monster. A very fine mount, but definitely at the edge of portability. The CGEM and ATLAS are much easier to move around. I went with the CGEM mainly because it is made by the same company that made the ATLAS and I knew the ATLAS was a great mount. So I don't see the CGEM as an untested mount I see it as a just an improved version of the ATLAS. Some of the improvements are the bigger dovetail, better couterweight bar, better motors, faster slewing, fantastic polar alignment routine, and better hand controller software. The CGEM can carry any of my ota's with less than 2 seconds damping time when using vibration suppression pads and that is all I need for visual use.

Plus it just looks way cooler :grin: :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics