Photo

mount-tripod foundation ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 DCS357

DCS357

Explorer 1

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:43 PM

I am the proud owner of a new (to me) CG-5ASGT and was wondering what would be the best way to set it up in my back yard. Pour a concrete slab 10'x10'x4", level ground ???
I have read that a wood deck is a No No.

thanks
don c

#2 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

I often set up on my rear deck which is 10' above ground. It's fine as lng as I stay still.
You can try this, too:
http://www.asignobse...scope_pier.aspx

#3 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

As Fred said, as long as you don't move around, a deck is fine. Also, as long as you aren't intending to do any long exposure photography. My deck is off the second story of my house and it works well with a C-11 on a CGE, plus a couple of refractors on alt-az mounts -- except when my dog decides to race to the other side and see what's rustling in the bushes.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

In my experience, a cement patio works fine for visual. If you have a wood deck and observing works OK, fine. But if you plan on building something at ground level, don't make a wood deck, or if you do, put in seperate isolated pillars for your tripod legs to rest on. You can also do something as simple as set out three pavers for your tripod legs to rest on. Alternatively, put in a pier. No need to go overboard on a pier. You can dig a hole with a powered auger and set a pipe in it with concrete. A patio made of paver set in sand can work very well too.

#5 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

I'm currently putting in a pavers in sand area for my setup. I do have a long term goal of a slab and pier in a different area, but that involves trenching and cabling and everything else. So for 'temporary' I'm going with the pavers as I'll be able to move them easily if need be.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics