Photo

Question on WO Eazy Touch Purchase

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

I am finally ready to upgrade from my inadequate "EQ1" type mount. Woodland Hills has the WO Eazy Touch with Tripod for $425 shipped. The one question I have is whether I need something to attach the Orion 80ED. I gather that it is not ready to attach out of the bag, but I could be wrong. Anyone want to enlighten me?

#2 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

If the OTA comes with a vixen type dovetail you're good to go. If not, you'll need a set of rings with said dovetail.

#3 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

Ahh. Thanks Dennis. I have the rings already, just need the dovetail. Adds a bit to the cost of the mount.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

Doesn't the ED80 come from Orion with a short dovetail attached to the OTA? If so you already have what you need.

#5 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

Doesn't the ED80 come from Orion with a short dovetail attached to the OTA? If so you already have what you need.

That's a good question. Perhaps someone who's actually owned/seen one could fill us in.

On their description they say that the scope is sold as an optical tube assembly only, without accessories and that compatible tube rings are #7371 which are sold separately. And on the "Specs" page the Mount Style indicates optical tube only.

The photo does enlarge enough to clearly show a block of some kind on the OTA but it does not appear to be tapered as a dovetail would. Some kind of photo tripod mount?

#6 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

Thanks fellows, it is a 1/4"-20 mounting block. I did get the #7371 rings for us on an old EQ1 style mount, but the scope is just too heavy for it.

#7 Fish

Fish

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

FYI:

I had the same issue and cured it with a dovetail for the ED80 at http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eqde.htm

Regards, Marc

#8 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:21 AM

Awesome Marc!!! Thanks for the link.

#9 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

A word of caution about the E-Z touch dovetail "shoe" into which, the dovetail bar that is attached to the scope, fits.

WO uses a Vixen-size dovetail shoe but it is differently shaped than many other dovetail shoes. the top of the shoe (the receptacle into which the bar fits) is too narrow to simply lay a standard vixen dovetail in it. You must therefore insert the dovetail bar by "threading" it into the shoe from one of its ends.

Many standard dovetail bars that you buy may not fit because you connect the rings to the dovetail bar with a bolt and nut which sticks out of the bottom of the dovetail bar and prevents you from threading the bar into the shoe. I.E, the bolt that sticks out of the bottom of many dovetail bars prevents you from threading the dovetail with rings attached into the E-Z touch.

You can solve this problem, by buying an expensive $88 special dovetail bar sold by WO, or buying another shoe to attach on the other side of the EZ-touch that is larger at its top.

I have the e-z touch, and though I like it very much, I found this to be a problem when I tried to insert a telescope with an Orion dovetail bar ($15)
and rings and it would not fit. (I usually have a SV102 refractor on a clamshell mount inserted into the EZ touch and this does not have any projections on the bottom side of the bar, so it fits just fine). I did, for this and other reasons, add a second larger dovetail bar shoe to the other side so I would not have that problem.

I drone on like this because if you simply attach rings to a thinner cheaper standard dovetail bar, it might not fit!

#10 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

The mount came in today and I have to say that I "Love" it. What an upgrade from the inadequate EQ1. I put a post here about the experience.

WO EAZ Touch Review

#11 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

I "Love" it.

Just read your observing report Royston, very good. Glad you got the EZT and like it...mine is great too.

Enjoy!!! :)

#12 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

The mount came in today and I have to say that I "Love" it. What an upgrade from the inadequate EQ1. I put a post here about the experience.

WO EAZ Touch Review

Good report!

And what you seeing in the way of color out towards the edges of the UWAN is typical of most ultra widefield eyepieces like this one, that tend to show some lateral color out near the edges.

Sorry - going off topic

Timm

#13 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

No problem is going off topic Timm. Like I said, it was my first time with the 16mm UWAN and the Moon, so I did not know what to expect. Good to know it is normal.

BTW, how do the SPLs work on the Moon? I am wondering if I should add to the TMBs or try the SPLs. Looking for a 6mm option and also adding a barlow to get closer.

#14 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:35 PM

A word of caution about the E-Z touch dovetail "shoe" into which, the dovetail bar that is attached to the scope, fits.

WO uses a Vixen-size dovetail shoe but it is differently shaped than many other dovetail shoes. the top of the shoe (the receptacle into which the bar fits) is too narrow to simply lay a standard vixen dovetail in it. You must therefore insert the dovetail bar by "threading" it into the shoe from one of its ends.

The Orion Deluxe AZ dual head mount had the same issue. I had a heck of a time inserting the dovetail bar that came with my SV102ED because the screws holding it onto the clamshell are not recessed. I was finally able to somehow get it onto the mount, but I ended up scratching both the mount and the dovetail.

There really needs to a standard set that everyone follows.

#15 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:16 PM

No problem is going off topic Timm. Like I said, it was my first time with the 16mm UWAN and the Moon, so I did not know what to expect. Good to know it is normal.

BTW, how do the SPLs work on the Moon? I am wondering if I should add to the TMBs or try the SPLs. Looking for a 6mm option and also adding a barlow to get closer.

The SPLs are very nice on the Moon. I have a review on the SPLs as well and felt they did a slightly better job and were better constructed than the TMB that I borrowed for comparison.

I honestly don't look at the Moon all that much however. I used to, but sort of lost interest after a while.

Timm

#16 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

I took a countersink bit to my dovetail bar. Now, the screws are recessed into the bar so it goes on the EzTouch with no issues. Works great, and the screw head covers the exposed metal caused from the drilling...

#17 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

As long as your scope has a Vixen style dovetail you are ready to go! Nothing else to get since the EZTouch comes with Vixen style clamp on one side. :)

Attached Files

#18 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

Oops! Just noticed all your questions have been answered. A minute late and a dollar short! :p

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics