Photo

Vixen GP/GPD2, Losmandy G11, Astrotech Voyager?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

The usual quandry, what to buy? Okay, here's my dilemma...I bought a short, rear-weight biased TMB92SS. An awesome scope. I feel it's a bit much in terms of balance for my AT Voyager mount. I have a G11 but the G11 does not lend itself to quick, easy setup and takedown. Basically, you have to haul it out in pieces, set it up the put the scope on and get a rough alignment, oh, and plug it in... A bit fiddly and some heavy pieces. Plusses are, it's super-stable with such a small scope.

I also had a CG-5, the old version with the Synta glue in it, and no drive. I took it apart to try to rebuild and decided it is basically junk. So, I thought of replacing it with the Vixen GP or GPD2. Then I read a *BLEEP* review on a vendor's website of all places that made it sound as cheap as my old CG-5 (my apology to CG-5 fans...). Anyway, is the Vixen a quality mount that operates smoothly? I would want at a minimum the RA drive motors on it. Would use my old CG-5 aluminum tripod.

So, do you think I'm better off with the GP or the GPD2? The scope weighs around 10 pounds but of course I'll want to use eps that weigh up to a couple pounds...

OR, should I just suck it up and use the G-11, and suffer with hauling that gear out there? I sometime just need a bit of recalibration on such issues. Thanks in advance, any advice welcome...
Tom :confused:

#2 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

Vixen build quality is much better, IMO. Not snazzy on the outside but the gears and movements are higher quality.
A GP or SP would do, with a good tripod. The tripod will make all the difference.
Another alt-az thought ....
the EZTouch should be a much better solution than the Voyager.

Rob

#3 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:18 AM

I used the GPD2 and it is a great mount.I use aa Tak TSA on it and get 3 min unguided images.It is easy to set up and sturdy.The lightweight aluminum tripod is very sturdy and vixen makes a half pier also that help on visual.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

I had a G11 for 10+ years. When I downsized to a ~15 lb OTA I downsized mounts to a CG5ASGT. IMO, the mount works great with these OTAs. At $600 new, it's a steal.

#5 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

Thanks guys, Rob mentioned the EZTouch, I may consider that. To it's credit, the Voyager does handle the TMB but at 12 or so pounds with accessories added, I just felt I needed a bit more stability. It is an excellent mount with my AT66ED! Appreciate the input, any others? Thanks again, Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics