Photo

Singing while Sketching

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

As I filed my current Solar Sketch, I realized that it's been about 6 weeks, and that Sketching has been relaxing, stimulating, and enjoyable. I wish to thank those who helped start this journey.

Today I go into the Hospital, where they'll run tests to determine if these seizures are organic or "in my head"..... Just love that term, ya know?

Anyway, packed a few sheets of Artagain, some pencils, crayons, and such with which to fill my days. Pity those who'll be monitoring as I sing.

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Tom,

Beautiful sketch. I hope all goes very well with the tests.

Frank :)

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

Tom

Beautiful sketch. I was not aware I was missing so much solar activity! I'll peek between the rain clouds at the sun today. Thanks for the alert.

I am not understanding your diagnosis. Does the astro sketching cauise you to sing? I whistle Bach's Coffee Cantata when I sketch. Sometimes Mozarts Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. Sorry to hear of any illness that you have. Good luck with the tests. Can I take those tests without insurance? Can I contribute to your local medical research?

I a have a habit of excessive observing of the universe and then making great art that I want to share with the world. What is the cure for this condition?
:cool:

Mark

#4 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Very cool solar sketch, hope the test come out in your favor, thanks for sharing.

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

Nice sketch and I love to sing around observing times. Let us know how the tests go. Roland

#6 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hope all goes well for you, Tom.

(As for the singing, I let others do that. Pity I didn't get those genes -- both my parents are musicians.)

-- Jeff.

#7 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

Tom

Beautiful sketch. I was not aware I was missing so much solar activity! I'll peek between the rain clouds at the sun today. Thanks for the alert.

I am not understanding your diagnosis. Does the astro sketching cauise you to sing? I whistle Bach's Coffee Cantata when I sketch. Sometimes Mozarts Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. Sorry to hear of any illness that you have. Good luck with the tests. Can I take those tests without insurance? Can I contribute to your local medical research?

I a have a habit of excessive observing of the universe and then making great art that I want to share with the world. What is the cure for this condition?
:cool:

Mark

The cure for <our> condition is to:

Love like you've never been hurt.

Dance like nobody's watching.

Sing like nobody's listening.

Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

As for the Hospital tests, apparently I have psuedo-siezures. No organic cause was found or observed.

What WAS interesting is that one of the guys who monitered me (Video EEG) for three days is also an artist. He would comment on my practice sketches and was fascinated by theese "psuedo" Ha Observations ;) Evidently the brain waves generated while sketching were also interesting, although he couldn't comment much about that.

Too bad it's cloudy today. I could use a fix of photons.

#8 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

Thanks, Frank, Roland, Tommy and Jeff.

On one hand it's GOOD to know I don't have Epilepsy, or some organic defect which causes seizures. On the other hand, "pseudo" has some connotations that I'm making them up...sigh...the doctors were careful in the way they describe this, but still there's that connotation.

#9 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

Tom --

The other way to look at it is that "pseudo-siezure" might just be doctor-speak for "we can't figure it out". It's kind of like a UFO -- the fact that it's unidentified doesn't actually make it extra-terrestrial. ;)

Anyway, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

-- Jeff.

#10 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

Tom --

The other way to look at it is that "pseudo-siezure" might just be doctor-speak for "we can't figure it out". It's kind of like a UFO -- the fact that it's unidentified doesn't actually make it extra-terrestrial. ;)

Anyway, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

-- Jeff.

I appreciate that, Jeff. When googling this, several sites say exactly what you said-

I began to count my blessings, and ran out of fingers and toes. :roflmao: Perhaps that is what friends are for?

Anyway. This is one of the sketches I did in the Hospital. I tried to lighten up on the pencil and reduce the Spicules and Chromosphere (?) to proper proportion, as well as capture the Prominences better. The guy monitoring me suggested the use of a short brush, charged with the chalk, and gently pushed away from the surface to more accurately depict this feature. Bear in mind I couldn't wear my reading glasses as they shorted out against the electrodes for monitering these episodes.

Attached Files

#11 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:19 AM

Tom --

I like the short brush idea -- it might also allow you to tighten up the spicules to the disk so that the dark line is a bit narrower.

Have you tried a blending stump on the spicules? I usually don't when I'm sketching a prom at 85 - 110X, but it might help soften them a bit for the lower-power full-disk (or mostly full-disk) views.

-- Jeff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics