Photo

Saturn 03-17-09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

Last night was warm and calm, a great night for star gazing. I saw Venus as a thin crescent, watched the space astation cruise overhead and got a real nice look at saturn.The shadow of the thin rings was a dark line in the northern side of the rings the seb was clearly visible and looked a bit ragged although no rift was seen, the neb was more like a darker section of the northern hemisphere, the eq zone looked clear, a few moons were blinking on and off, here is a pencil sketch of saturn.Best view was 220x without a filter. :jump:

Attached Files

#2 JimWaterford

JimWaterford

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

I was out last night as well. Good viewing. Good drawing ability. If you were to use a filter what filter would you use? Please let me know the telescope scope you use. I just bought a SV102ED f6.95 last week and need to purchase more EP. I can go 100x given the 7mm Nagler I have. Thank you. Regards, Jim

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Tommy,

An excellent observation of Saturn. You have rendered the detail over the globe very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

Tommy5,

This is a beautiful sketch of Saturn. :bow: You have included much fine detail and have created a perfect eyepiece view.
Superb! :cool:

Frank :)

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

Jim, Carlos , Frank thanks . Jim, i used a 6" achro C6R to make this observation , generally a # 11 yellow-green filter works best for me for saturn, last night although unfiltered was best.Eyepieces are like putters, a very personal kind of equipment, some folks prefer a barlow and a larger f/l eyepiece, i like a 7mm U.O. orthro, you might try a 6mm eyepirce to get a little more mag under steady seeing, sometimes a 5mm might work for you, i like to have a number of planetary eyepieces at a similar mag to see which is best under any given seeing. I would think around 150x may be best for you although you can on occasion go higher as you have a fine ED scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics