Sky-Watcher HEQ5 vs Vixen GP-DX

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 m00nless

m00nless

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

How do these two mounts compare? I believe the Vixen GP-DX is no longer available, but can be found secondhand.

#2 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

I have own the Vixen GP-DX same as their new GP-D2.This is a proved mount.It comes bare.You just add the motors and controller for a non goto mount.One of the best out of the box mounts.Has one of the best polar scope'like the Tak mounts.You can also buy the encoders and starbook for the GPDX if you want gotoand guide ability.The vixen are alot better buildt than the china mounts.I get 3min unguided out of my GPD2 AT F6.They can be found used for great prices and have higher quailty parts that last forever compared to some of the new china stuff.I not tying to put down the newer china made mounts.They are not bad.But the vixen GPDX LINE has allways been a great trouble free mount.That is my take on the GPDX OR GPD2.

#3 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

I have a GP-DX; bought new with Skysensor 2000 (GOTO). Proven mount, tracks VG, low, PE. Excellent for anything, and a very rugged mount. Use it with all my scopes.

http://www.barrie-ta...stro_photo.html

Ciao...Barry

#4 mjs

mjs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

Are motors, controllers, etc. still available for Super Polaris, Great Polaris, etc. Vixen mounts? One occasionally sees these mounts for sale used and unmotorized and I'm wondering what the difficulty would be in motorizing one of them (RA and Dec; not interested in Goto.)

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics