Photo

Manage (G-11) Gemini with PDA?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Hi,
First off, I've asked this question on the Losmandy Yahoo users' group, but got no answers :smirk:

Is there anyone managing their Gemini (v-4) based mounts with a PDA successfully?

I'm looking or guidance and / or pointers for running my G-11 Gemini v-4 with a PDA - cabled is fine, but hoping to hear from anyone having success with bluetooth as well, please.

Thanks.

Regards,

skybsd

#2 Doug Sanqunetti

Doug Sanqunetti

Mariner 2

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hi,

I am running TheSky Pocket Edition on a Dell Axim X50 and connecting via bluetooth to a Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount. The Dell Axim has bluetooth capability built in and on the mount side I am using an Air Cable bluetooth serial port adapter. The Air Cable bluetooth serial port adapter is connected to the Gemini computer with a special cable that has 2 connectors. The first connector goes into the serial port and the second connector goes into the feature port to supply power to the bluetooth adapter. Unfortunately, I am not sure where to get the special cable anymore. Thomas Hilton on the Gemini Yahoo group is the person who sold it to me, but he is no longer in business. He may know where to get one or he may be able to give you instructions to make your own.

I wrote my own application to create a wireless handset that can manually move the mount at guide, center, and slew speeds and also change mount settings like time, location, command the mount to park and other handy functions.

I know there are other people connecting via bluetooth on the Gemini yahoo group. You can probably get more information there.

Best Regards, Doug

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your post. I'm not familiar with PDAs myself, so could use some advice on what's compatible vs current, too :smirk:

I was reading around and have come across mention of the supply issue with the Air Cable bluetooth serial port adapter as well.

I've just submitted another post to a similar thread on the Losmandy Yahoo Users' group - hoping to get a response or two soon.

Thanks again, Doug!

Regards,

skybsd

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics