• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Agnotio

Agnotio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

This is my sketch from 3 days ago, a great night out of a rare string of nice nights here. The materials used were a black Artagain sketchpad with white charcoal pencil for the stars and white pencil crayon for the shading. I'm currently mulling over changing my method, because I find the charcoal is too hard to erase and tends to break off the page (e.g. you can see some white spots outside the eyepeice circle to the right along with some smudging). Looks like I may turn to inverting my images like a lot of you guys here, so I would be happy to hear any suggestions on that front.

Posted Image

#2 Agnotio

Agnotio

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

Just for fun I decreased the brightness and increased the contrast to make the image cleaner, here's what it looks like (now I see the advantage to doing this on the computer):

Posted Image

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

Agnotio,

What is not to like? Either way the sketch is one to be very proud of. I would not discourage you from sketching this way until you feel you want to try another method. How about getting a black charcoal pencil and covering the white spots you can't erase. On my monitor I cannot see the white spots and smudges you are concerned about. I think it is an excellent sketch. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#4 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

Very good, the spots aren't a big deal, they disappear after turning the brightness down a little. My one suggestion is to set the color to zero if possible.

You might want to try for the dust lane in M82 (or is it 81? I get these ones mixed up), it's definitely possible in that scope.

#5 Agnotio

Agnotio

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

You might want to try for the dust lane in M82 (or is it 81? I get these ones mixed up), it's definitely possible in that scope.

I'm sure it is possible with the 10-inch, but unfortunately not to any great extent from my light pollution. I don't know exactly what the limiting magnitude is, but I'd guess around 3.5 to 4 (about 15 km from downtown). When it warms up this summer I will definitely get out to some much darker skies, and bring my sketchpad with me.

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Agnotio,

Excellent observations of M81 and M82. You have captured their appearance very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

Agnotio,

I really like your sketch of M81 and M82. Nicely done. Keep it up and keep em coming as the sky and clouds permits!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics