• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

i have a celestron cg5 i bought about 6 months ago new with daul drive. i see were opt is selling a goto kit for this type mount. ive never had a goto before. im kind of familur with how the computer operates having a intelliscope. my question has to do with a goto on a equat, mount setup. do you have to polar align before it will work properly and if so, how good does the alignment have to be. thanks, don

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

Don,

With the Celestron NexStar goto (the CG-5 Advanced or GT) an "eyeball" polar alignment (sighted through the RA axis ... no polar alignment scope used) is usually enough to ensure that my gotos are all within the fov of a 32mm Plossl. Now I'm reasonably adept at a 2 Star Alignment and do add the calibration stars so my initial alignment is probably quite good. As the night progresses I may also add a couple more calibration stars or do a Sync in a specific area to improve the accuracy, say if I need to go after something new that's near the limit of visibility.

Mount Position - rough, on a lawn without a common starting area
Mount Leveling - close, using the built in bubble level
Polar Alignment - rough, using the eyeball method
Stellar Alignment - accurate, 12mm eyepiece with cross hairs and the 2 Star plus 4 calibration stars

#3 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

thanks mark for the info, appreciate. don

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics