Photo

Through the Bands Cirro-Stratus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

The Situation

After 5 nights of rain and clouds we finally had a clear day, but it yielded quickly to an approaching front. When I set up the 12.5 inch Dob, it was clear. By early evening the sky presented incoming bands of cirro-status. The holes had haze and the more solid areas were blanking Sirius and Saturn. But the optics were cooled so I danced through some holes for a bit. Who can resist a sketch when the sight is pretty--even with the effects of the atmosphere?

The facts:

55 Deg F; 60% humidity; 50% cloud cover
12.5 inch Dob with an EQ platform; optics only
8:45-9:45 EDT
Pencil and pastels on black Artagain sketch paper

Saturn:178X with a Radian; a beautiful yellowed silhouette
Sirius: 65X with a Panoptic; dancing and flickering with the high level moisture and the clouds
Orion's core: 65X with a Panoptic; ghostly white with softened edges

The Lesson

It is not a coincidence that Psalm 104 and Psalm 146/147 have similar and parallel themes: praise to God for his majesty; His greatness proclaimed because he created the heavens; and His greatness because he created the earth's characteristics--especially those affected by the water cycle. This is a fascinating juxtaposition of themes because the latter two represent common observing conditions and objectives: moisture in the atmosphere and seeing through it in order to see the heavens. While moisture is often viewed as a problem, thank God for a thin band of life that is permitted because the water cycle is essential to life and finely tuned to permit us to observe both life within it and the heavens above--through a nearly transparent window. All of it speaks of God's majesty--the opening theme for both sections of Psalms. In contrast to the popular view that the universe is a great cosmic experiment that self-created complexity and runs by chance, it is truly a pointer to the Creator and Sustainer of life.

Roland

Attached Files

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

Roland

Beautiful documentation and observation report. You have included it all!

It reminds me to document more info as I just found a long lost photo of a lunar refraction through clouds that I know Spaceweather posted a couple summers ago but I cannot remember the date. I don't want to deter from your post here but here is the link below>. It was one of the most awesome lunar halos that I have ever seen. Or perhaps the contrast of it under the streetlight on my former street for 20 years.

I always look forward to seeing your future observation reports,

-Mark
Lunar Halo Under Streetlight Troutdale Oregon 2007

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics