•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG5-GT level question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Troys

Troys

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has a built in level that is off? For it to show level I have to raise the legs to the left of the guide pin and opposite the guide pin about 6 inches.

I am wondering because the first time I setup I didn't realize it was there and the goto seemed much more accurate.
On the second night I saw the level and adjusted to it. The goto was no where near as accurate that night.
Since then I set the legs level without the mount and ignored the built in and it has been working great like that first day.

#2 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

The bubble level on mine and the CG5 mounts owned by two friends of mine are all off. Use your own level.

#3 Americal

Americal

Mariner 2

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:17 AM

Troys, there's two solutions to the problem. Mine, yours and I think all, CG-5 levels are off. You can take a torpedo level with you to level the tripod head or what I did was to adjust the onboard level and then I JB Welded into place.
If you look under the bottom of the equatorial head the bubble level is only held in place with a plastic plug. Level the mount complete; pop the bubble level out; put a little epoxy (I used JB 'cause that's what I got) under it; put the plug back in; make sure the bubble is centered and when the goo sets you're done.
I like this way because the level was just one more piece of *BLEEP* I forget. :smirk:

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

I was wondering if anyone else has a built in level that is off? For it to show level I have to raise the legs to the left of the guide pin and opposite the guide pin about 6 inches.

I am wondering because the first time I setup I didn't realize it was there and the goto seemed much more accurate.
On the second night I saw the level and adjusted to it. The goto was no where near as accurate that night.
Since then I set the legs level without the mount and ignored the built in and it has been working great like that first day.

Most of these levels are a little bit off. Ground truth, though? Leveling doesn't make much difference for the go-to alignment, and absolutely no difference for polar alignment. I never worry about this, just adjusting the legs till teh thing is reasonably level.
;)

#5 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

What uncle Rod said.

#6 Troys

Troys

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Thanks guys, I may pull it out and try to reseat it as Americal said. I'm glad to hear it won't effect the goto or polar alignment. I really enjoy how great this mount works, it blows the old LX10 setup away.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics