Photo

CG5-GT level question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Troys

Troys

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has a built in level that is off? For it to show level I have to raise the legs to the left of the guide pin and opposite the guide pin about 6 inches.

I am wondering because the first time I setup I didn't realize it was there and the goto seemed much more accurate.
On the second night I saw the level and adjusted to it. The goto was no where near as accurate that night.
Since then I set the legs level without the mount and ignored the built in and it has been working great like that first day.

#2 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

The bubble level on mine and the CG5 mounts owned by two friends of mine are all off. Use your own level.

#3 Americal

Americal

Mariner 2

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:17 AM

Troys, there's two solutions to the problem. Mine, yours and I think all, CG-5 levels are off. You can take a torpedo level with you to level the tripod head or what I did was to adjust the onboard level and then I JB Welded into place.
If you look under the bottom of the equatorial head the bubble level is only held in place with a plastic plug. Level the mount complete; pop the bubble level out; put a little epoxy (I used JB 'cause that's what I got) under it; put the plug back in; make sure the bubble is centered and when the goo sets you're done.
I like this way because the level was just one more piece of *BLEEP* I forget. :smirk:

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

I was wondering if anyone else has a built in level that is off? For it to show level I have to raise the legs to the left of the guide pin and opposite the guide pin about 6 inches.

I am wondering because the first time I setup I didn't realize it was there and the goto seemed much more accurate.
On the second night I saw the level and adjusted to it. The goto was no where near as accurate that night.
Since then I set the legs level without the mount and ignored the built in and it has been working great like that first day.

Most of these levels are a little bit off. Ground truth, though? Leveling doesn't make much difference for the go-to alignment, and absolutely no difference for polar alignment. I never worry about this, just adjusting the legs till teh thing is reasonably level.
;)

#5 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

What uncle Rod said.

#6 Troys

Troys

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Thanks guys, I may pull it out and try to reseat it as Americal said. I'm glad to hear it won't effect the goto or polar alignment. I really enjoy how great this mount works, it blows the old LX10 setup away.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics