Show me your Current Leo Triplet Sketch

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hello all, per a previous discussion I thought I'd try and foster some targeted project work here in the sketching forum. The target I'd like to see sketched this month (well, let's say through April) would be the Leo Triplet of Galaxies: M65, M66 and NGC 3628.

Any medium or techniques go (we may ask for more specifics in a later month depending on involvement and enthusiasm for us newbs to learn new things!).

Unfortunately I can't start us off on this adventure with an example as I've been sick, have had terrible weather, dealing with too much stuff at work, and the obligatory being sick of dealing with work and the weather...

Everyone/anyone can post their sketches here, ask for pointers, etc.

I hope this ends up being a fun project for everyone.

#2 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

Done with graphite on white paper. They were kind of low in the sky when I sketched this, but transparency was very good; I saw spiral structure in M51 and M81 later that night. I probably should have waited until they were higher up to sketch them...

Hmm... I hope I'm not going to be the only participant here.

Attached Files

#3 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

TenthEnemy, I'll definitely participate if this weather of mine ever gives me a good break.

There's a chance I can post my first attempt tomorrow.

One thing I really like about this Trio, that I think you captured well is that they can form a smiley face... at least that's what it always looked like to me.

That's great that you go to see some spiral structure as well, I hope to be so lucky.

#4 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:58 PM

I think they look like a sad face :(, not a smiley face. I think there is a similar formation in the Virgo cluster somewhere. They're definitely some funny looking galaxies, I started laughing the first time I managed to see NGC 3628.

#5 TahaSiddiqui

TahaSiddiqui

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

Nice sketch TenthEnemy, I like how realistic it looks :).

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

Good sketch. You won't be. Will try tonight and I am sure others will. Roland

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

Tenth,

I really like your sketch and capture of all three galaxies. I'll try but its not looking good for over the next 7 days weather wise. My last observation of the triplet was January 30, 2009. I'll post when I can grab a good look at them.

#8 Demelza

Demelza

Mariner 2

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Well... A few days ago I've made a sketch of the Leo Triplet. I'm afraid I have to call it the Leo Duo... The conditions where not very good...

Attached Files

#9 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

Very nice renditions 10th E and Demelza! The members of the Leo Triplet are far enough apart that I usually sketch them individually rather than as a group.

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:12 AM

Excellent observations of the Leo Triplet (M65, M66, and NGC 3628). This is an interesting trio to observe. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#11 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

I do intend to take part in this if my weather ever breaks. Like Eric I can't fit all three in a single field with my primary instrument, but I was considering doing a composite sketch: I could start with the field stars using my 4" refractor, and then fill in the galaxy details with the 16" Mak. I'm a bit unsure of this approach as it kind of goes against my normal "this is what I see in the eyepiece" mantra, but it'd be an intersting experiment (which certainly seems in tune with this thread).

Anyway, just to keep things rolling here's the NGC member from last year with my old scope:

Posted Image

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#12 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

The story is in a separate thread posted 3/23.

Our sky conditions (not too bad) and some haze/sky glow and my older eyes meant that the NGC object was just barely noticeable with averted vision. The scene took up less than 1/2 the field of view of the 22mm Panoptic. The sketch developed from astro video took up all of the screen. As the NGC object was slipping off one side of the screen (after 30 minutes) then the other two came in view since my LXD75 tripod is not perfect. However, the astro-video study was well worth the wait since the details of the objects were a real pleasure to study.

A Night with the Trio

Roland

#13 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

Roland --

Fastastic detail you're getting with that Mallincam! I've got a buddy over in England who does his sketching with a 14" Newt and a Watec video camera, and he's getting really impressive results as well. Me thinks there might have to be one of those doohickies in my future....

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#14 yann pothier

yann pothier

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Paris, France

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:46 AM

This is the only large view of the triplet I have in my files. This was done with a 70mm refractor (F/5) at 58x, on april 9, 2004 under rural sky with limiting magnitude about 5.6

Posted Image

#15 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

Wow, great sketches everyone. I attempted to capture these three last night but ran into a host of problems, the major one being that I didn't realize just how faint these guys are! I guess I got spoiled last year looking through larger instruments at darker skies!

My setup should frame the three pretty well. My C9.25 with 31mm Nagler should show all three, but I could only barely discern M65 and M66, NGC36286 was nowhere to be seen. That's when I started encountering my problems: dew. On EP's and on my corrector plate (I had adjusted collimation and that wrecked me for the evening).

I used my 80ED with 9mm Nagler which gave me approximately the same FOV (a little wider, but pretty close). M65 and M66 were faint hazy "stars" with averted vision. I'm guessing my transparency and the light pollution helped washed them out too much.

I am planning on going to a dark site on Saturday to do the Messier Marathon, if there's a reasonable break I'll try to sketch them this weekend.

I'm happy to see so many folks participating! Hopefully folks are finding this a fun exercise? I am, even with the lack of production.

#16 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

Jeff and Yann,

Excellent observations of NGC 3628 and the Leo Triplet. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#17 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

Thanks, Carlos and Jim!

Here's last night's installment:

Posted Image

When combined with another from last year, it gives me the full set:

Posted Image

The plan is to create a composite "at-the-desk" sketch, using the existing "at-the-eyepiece" sketches as source material. (Mark Seibold has been encouraging me to experiment with larger scale, so this might just be my opportunity.)

I didn't get a chance to do a wide-angle field star sketch through my 4" refractor, though. Since the composite will be an at-the-desk exercise, would it be "appropriate" to sketch the wide-angle field stars from a planetarium program? Or do folks think all the elements of the composite need to be done at the eyepiece, even if the composite itself isn't?

-- Jeff.

#18 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

I don't see any reason you need to draw the rest of the starfield at the eyepiece. Just draw down to the faintest star in your current sketches. You already sketched the important parts at the EP.

Those are very nice sketches, can't wait to see them all put together.

#19 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

my leo triplet (the traditional one):

Posted Image

(12" newt, 45x, 2008.03.31)

and a bonus leo triplet:

Posted Image

from left to right: ngc 3222, 3226 and 3227

#20 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

Ferenc and Jeff,

Excellent observations of the M65/M66/NGC 3628. You have captured much detail over these interesting springtime galaxies. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#21 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

Jeff,

The detail you captured in both M65 and 66 is wonderful. I really like the inner core region in M65 in your sketch.

Starquake,

I enjoy your capture of these three and really like how your NGC 3628 has a three d. look to how it is laying on the sketch.

I like and enjoyed comparing them to my capture from Jan. 30th. I want to do a new capture and sketch but the weather just isn't cooperating with me. ::sigh::

#22 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:22 AM

Thanks, Carlos and Jay!

I've still a bit of research to do on that M65 core. The center condensation is the galaxy core, while the one to the right is a foreground star. But the other side is too overexposed in all the images I've looked at, so I'm not yet sure whether it's another foreground star, a clump or HII region in the galaxy, or just a trick of the eye.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#23 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

Hey Jim,

This is a great thread you have started here. Many, many fine galaxy sketches posted by the very best sketchers at CN.

Frank :)

#24 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

Thanks Frank, I had really hoped that I could be posting the Trio by now, but with the frantic pace of running the Messier Marathon this past weekend my head just wasn't in the game (so to speak) for sketching.

Though I do have to say the views were absolutely incredible at the dark site we observed from. If you took Jeff Young's individual sketches and put them in a single FOV, there was that much detail in my 80ED! Simply amazing, and depressing at the same time. Depressing because I now have "Dark Site Envy" and know that I'm not likely to ever see that much detail from my backyard...not unless I up the aperture to something ridiculous...

Tomorrow looks to be available, though I'm concerned that my transparency is listed as below average, but I'll give it go.

#25 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:14 AM

Jim,

I agree, great thread you have going. I just wish the skies would settle down and allow me a night to go. I worry about that the sky will clear up next week and the moon will be too bright by then to get a good view. ::sigh:: the good news is I am off for the month of April through I'll be on vacation with the family for one of those weeks so I should be able to get time for some good sessions weather permitting.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics