ngc4755 sketch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

After looking at Rony's great images- thought i would give sketching a go...i will attempt the Sth hemisphere's highlights for those who have not been upside down
Thin cloud kept getting in my way & I am not totally happy with it -but posting to get some feedback. the pic does not do the view justice.
B crux is the primary star above centre, the jewel box is below right

At the minute I amusing a chinagraph white - but it is a little thick, does anyone have other suggestions for pencils?

Attached Files

#2 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

That's a nice sketch! I too am at the stage where i want to start sketching what i see at the eyepiece but i have never been artistically inclined.The nearest i have come to sketching is making a quick little drawing of a particular object i had a very good view of when i write my notes up the next day - these little drawings are embarrassingly bad. I think the chinagraph looks ok on your sketch.

I think the jewel box is NGC 4755 though not 4955.

#3 leo9

leo9

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Oregon, USA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

Nice sketch, I'm glad to see some sights from the upside down part of the world!

Advice? I am a rank beginner at this, but I did take a couple of sketching and drawing classes from the local community college. Here are a couple of tips from that experience:

1. use what you have available, and stick with it until you feel you have learned the pluses and minuses of them, then move on to other materials.

2. learn to sharpen you pencils (also applies to china white, crayon etc). Use sand paper stuck to a solid flat surface like a sanding block for sharpening - not a pencil sharpener.
Use several pencils with different tip shapes (that you create on the sand paper) a sharp point, a blunt point, and a flat wedge is a good start. Expose a LOT of the business end before you start sharpening - 3/4 inch to 1 1/2 inches!

I use four 6B art pencils with different tip shapes, plus two 4H art pencils with one blunt point and one flat wedge point (for the faint fuzzies) on white paper. I also have a bunch of "stumps" -- not tree stumps, these are pencil shaped and dense paper for making smudges.

Perhaps more than you wanted to know right now. I hope this is helpful.

Regardless, keep on sketching and sharing with us. And have fun!!

p.s. check out the sketching thread for tips -- just don't get depressed and give up when you see some of the art work posted there... some of those folks do astounding things.

#4 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Great advice - thankyou

#5 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

I haven't wet my feet yet in drawing so I give you a lot of credit for what you've done already. I'm wondering, though, have you considered drawing on white paper with a regular pencil and then scanning your "negative" drawing into a photo editing program?

You can then select a negative image in the processing so you end up with white stars/ gray nebulosity on a black background. It just seems to me that black marks on white paper would be easier to control dot size and shading while working under red light in the dark!

Just a thought for what it's worth!

Rich V

#6 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Leo, thanks for the advice
Rich i have also had someone say just use a graphite pencil on white paper then invert the image...might try that on IC 2602

#7 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

A very nice sketch. It's just nice to see one that's not been digital enhanced.

I do sketch a little now at the eyepiece. You certainly learn the object better that way.

Thanks for the sketch Daniel.

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

Hi Daniel,

You're off to a very good start in astrosketching with this sketch (and the drawing of IC2602 which you posted). You'll get better and better with practice and as GlenM pointed out, you will also sharpen your observing skills. I like these posts of objects that we northern hemisphere observers never see. :)

There are advantages and disadvantages to using black paper and white paper. For instance, if you are trying to preserve your night vision, the black paper presents no problems with glare when you shine your light on it. Even using a red light, the white paper can have considerable glare.

On the other hand, I find I have more control using graphite pencils than I have with color pencils. Graphite is also easier to blend if you are rendering nebulosity or comets. I have recently begun using white watercolor pencils (used dry) when I sketch solar proms--they seem to work better for finer detail than regular white pencils. I haven't tried to make stars with the watercolor pencils yet.

If you are trying to show color, you can just choose the appropriate color pencil. With graphite, you have to do this digitally. I don't have a problem with the use of computers--presenting stuff on the Web lends itself to computer enhancement. That said, I use little processing myself, but respect all approaches.

Experiment with the different paper and pencils and see what works for you. There is a wealth of information in the Sketching forum here on CN that you can access too.

Here are a couple of suggestions that I can make right now. You noted the date and object name on your sketch. I like to also include the time in UT, the instrument and magnification, the FOV, and the cardinal directions. Sometimes brief notes and labels can enhance a drawing. Lastly, the black paper you are using appears to have a fairly coarse texture. You might want to try smoother paper for this type of sketch.

Here are three examples using different media, techniques, and suggestions:

Black paper and color pencils

White paper and graphite pencils inverted

white paper and graphite pencil inverted

The important thing is to just do it--and you are already over that hump. :)

#9 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Daniel, the Jewel Box is NGC 4755. You may want to correct the title of your thread.

#10 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

• Loc: 38°21'N 120°55'W

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

Terrific sketches, Daniel! You have quite a talent! You might want to visit the Sketching Forum. There a lot of helpful people there who will be able to answer your questions. There are quite a few talented folks there, too! You'll fit right in! ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics