Photo

Saturn Madness - Double Transit Tonight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

According to S&T http://www.skyandtel...ts/3308506.html
Dione & Enceladus are transiting tonight. CSC is predicting 4/5 seeing for my site. These are small but in good seeing I am hoping to catch my first Saturn moon transit. Good luck

Regards,
Steve

#2 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

Looking forwatd fot that one Tonight.
Freddy

#3 solshaker

solshaker

Vanguard

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

doh! transparency is pretty good tonight so i have the refractor set up for some m51 imaging. figures.

we are counting on you, Steve! no pressure.... ;)

#4 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

Guys, I basically blew this one! After taking the time to collimate my scope perfectly (finally realizing that 1 screw had been too tight forever and that it was preventing the balance across the others), I had some concerns about my mirror temp. Oddly it was almost 1 degC below ambient so I turned off the scope fans and turned the obs fans back on. These fans create turbulent air and affect the seeing so I only use them until the point of imaging, then turn them off, wait about 5min for things to settle. In this case, I accidentally left the inside fans on and only turned off the box fan. Then at f30-35 I had to crank up the gamma to 120% under the red channel just to get it bright enough. I believe this increased the noise level higher than the image size of Dione. By the time I figured out what I'd done, it was 2am and Saturn was dropping and the seeing getting worse. Except for finally being about to collimate, the night was a bust. I am going to rewire all my fans to control them individually outside next to my computer. Also if I get another chance, I will repeat this using a lower mag, maybe 1.8 or 2.5x which should enable imaging at lower gains/gammas.

Regards,
Steve

#5 solshaker

solshaker

Vanguard

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

my night was a bust, also.

while letting the scope cool i had a beer and shucked some oysters for my wife. after she went to bed m51 was above the lp to my east and in prime shooting territory. i set the a560 up on the adapter and ep. when i tried to adjust the settings i couldnt get into the chdk mod menu. somehow i managed to delete chdk. "no biggie, ill just reinstall" i thought. nope. my card reader wouldnt work.

the night wasnt a total waste though. i did get some good visuals of m51, m63, and saturn before hauling in the gear. i wish i would have setup for saturn as the seeing was great.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics