CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My first Saturn...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 sunrutas

sunrutas

Messenger

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Hi!

At last, at the end of this week , we had fair weather up here in Sweden.

So I took the opportunity to catch some avi´s with my new DBK 21AU04.AS colour camera.

At first I managed to capture 3 avi´s before the clouds came rolling in... the seeing was really bad, sometimes everything blurred up into a gray ball..

About an hour later, the clouds had passed and it was clear again!
This time I shot about 15 avi´s with different camera settings. The seeing was a little bit better than before, but still hardly mediocre.

The scopes I used was my Vixen ED100SF and my friend Magnus´s Orion Optics 8" f/6, 1/6 PTV reflector.
For magnification I used an Intes 2,4X Barlow lens.

With the Vixen refractor, I used an ir/uv blocking filter.
No filters was used with the reflector.

The first thing I found out, was that I need more power to "fill out" the chip.

And with the DBK camera, (on Saturn), I will have to use at least an 8" scope to resolve Saturn "properly"... I had to set the gain setting at maximum to even see it on the screen, with the Vixen 100...

We had our gear set up on Magnus´s balcony, so his CG5 GT mount was used this night.
He also was in charge of the hand control to track the planet, while I was busy operating the camera and focusing.

As this is my first effort to capture Saturn, I can´t be too dissapointed with the final results...

I will be most grateful for your opinions and thoughts, how I can improve the results!

-A more powerful Barlow lens, eyepiece projection, a bigger scope? -All suggestions are welcome!

I also have an Orion Optics 8" f/6 1/4 ptv. reflector, and an Orion Optics OMC 140 mak, that I am going to try as soon as the weather allows.

This picture is shot with the Orion Optics 8" f/6, 1/6 PTV reflector.

Kind regards/Roger!

Attached Files

#2 sunrutas

sunrutas

Messenger

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

Here is another one, shot with my Vixen ED100SF... this image is perfect for those who like to count pixels... As you see, a 2,4X Barlow wont enlarge the image enough...

I am afraid that if I use higher magnification, the image will be too faint, when using the Vixen 100...

Perhaps eyepiece projection is the right way to go?

Attached Files

#3 solshaker

solshaker

Vanguard

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

great results for a first shot, Roger. the first one is a little overexposed but the rings across the planet show up very well. i can make out the cassini division also.

looking forward to more.

#4 sunrutas

sunrutas

Messenger

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

I am already planning for the next imaging session!
Until I have got me a new, more powerful Barlow, I´ll either use my OMC 140, because of its focal lenght (2000 mm), or my Orion Optics 8" f/6, with eyepiece projection, to enlarge the image on the sensor.

/Roger!

#5 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

Keep at it Roger, you're doing well!

#6 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Just add a Barlow. Your 8 inch has the same focal length as my telescope and I think I get a good image scale with a 3x barlow. Add a 5x if you need more ;)

#7 Trever

Trever

Gemini

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

I have used a barlow to get up to F/30 on Jupiter or Saturn. It really depends on the seeing conditions, camera settings and optics used.

You are on the right track though! Looks great!.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics